Bugs, shade & companions

Asaf

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 13:48

Hi, I'm planning to do the gr20 north to south in 15 days, I have a tent, starting in about two weeks - pretty flexible, so if anyone wants to meet up around that time it'll be great.

Two questions-
Is a bug repellant necessary?
And is the trail is partly/mostly exposed to the sun?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 15:21

Hi Asaf,

If you have a tent you don't really need any bug repellent. And yes, the trail is mostly exposed to the sun.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 15:31

Hello,
Didn't take any repellent but I took a tube of antihistamine stuff but did not use it...no bites! It could however be different at times other than June?
Going South you should get several hours of sun each day....mostly exposed I would say. There are pockets of shade in places. One of the most prolonged was when you enter the beech trees between bocca di Laparo and Punta Mozza...stage Prati to d'Usciolu. I have been in September....still pleasantly warm even on the tops. Come to think of it I was not troubled by insects in September!
d'Usciolu through to Asinao over Monte Alcudina very exposed to sun!

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 16:26

Asaf

Take a hat with a wide brim to stop you getting sunburn on your neck!

--

Alan

Asaf

Posted: Tue, Aug 20, 2013, 18:16

Thank you very much!

Gnome

Posted: Wed, Aug 21, 2013, 19:12

Hi Asaf,
I'm planning on arriving at Calvi on Sep 4th, and starting the GR-20 the following day (Sep 5th).
Sounds good?
nguttman@gmail.com

--

-Noam

Asaf

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 10:51

I'm afraid it's too late for me, but I'll let you know if something will come up and I'll start later.

Btw, can anyone give me a tip about maps/trail book, recommendations for a good one, where
I can get it (Calvi?) and wether I should get one at all??

Thanks again

Asaf

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 10:52

I'm afraid it's too late for me, but I'll let you know if something will come up and I'll start later.

Btw, can anyone give me a tip about maps/trail book, recommendations for a good one, where
I can get it (Calvi?) and wether I should get one at all??

Thanks again

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 12:30

A trail book is very useful and there are 'corridor maps' in most of them nowadays.....It is only if you want to step outside the corridor of the route is when a 'proper map' would be very useful. Stay in the groove man! Don't know if you would get one in Calvi? and then it would probably be written in French, I guess. Maybe too late to get one sent to you on line? I used the Paddy Dillon book which is very informative.:-)

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 13:28

Asaf,

If you visit the site: http://www.le-gr20.fr you'll find out that they made available for download the 15 maps of the trail. Each map is under its own logical page (However, the trail is so well marked you don't really need a map!!)
You may download them directly by using the following link and using a logical incremental pattern.

http://www.le-gr20.fr/medias/files/etape1.png <----- Calenzana-Ortu du Piobbu
http://www.le-gr20.fr/medias/files/etape15.png <-----Paliri-Conca

--Michele

Asaf

Posted: Thu, Aug 22, 2013, 15:22

Thanks a lot:)