Corsica to Nice in October

hikert

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 12:28

Hey all,

me and my friend are planning to finish the GR20 on the 23th of October in Calenzana, around 14:00-15:00 PM. My problem is that I have to be In Nice Airport on the 24th of October, around 17:00 PM. I couldn't find any direct ferry from Calvi to Nice on those dates (Although on ferries booking websites, they say some companies do not advertise their schedueles online). In addition, it seems the only way to get near Nice is by a ferry from Bastia to Italy, and from there to take some train to Nice, but again the hours seem to be tight or impossible. The ultimate option is to take a direct flight from Calvi to Nice with Air France, but it is quite expensive (~200 USD). If anyone (local or non local) knows about another way for me to get to Nice on time, I would be happy to hear.

Thanks,

Eyal

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 13:22

Eyal

It looks like your only other option would be to get to Bastia and take a ferry to Toulon or Marseille.

The bus leaves Calvi at 2pm and gets into Bastia at 4:15.

There's a ferry to Marseille at 6:30pm and one to Toulon at 8pm.

Can you get to Calvi by 2pm if you get an early enough start?

If you're starting from the Refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu, it's an easy descent.

--

Alan

hikert

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 13:42

Yes. We start from d'Ortu. We need to take a taxi from Calenzana to Calvi ,which I don't know how long it will take? If we start to walk from d'Ortu around 7 am on the 23rd, when do u think we will get to Calenzana? I saw there is also a train from Calvi to Bastia - 15:52 to 19:06. Both are night ferries, right? meaning I will arrive early morning to Marseille or Toulon. It seems like I would need to spend the day in Nice till my flight.

p.s.

are there more ferries, besides the one I can find online?

Thanks,

Eyal

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 14:21

Eyal

I don't know of any others apart from SNCF, La Meridionlale and Corsica & Sardinia Ferries.

My guide book says 7 hours in the other direction but you'll be going downhill all the way and you're travelling light. You should be able to do that in a lot less than 6 hours.

Can you get a taxi to meet you at the end of the trail in Calenzana?

This firm might be a good place to start: http://allo-taxi-calvi.com

--

Alan

hikert

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 16:07

Thanks. It seems like I will take the ferry from Bastia to Toulon.

What are the normal prices of a taxi from Calenzana to Calvi? Can we hitchhike to Calvi instead?

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 20:00

I've no idea about taxi prices but the people at that taxi company should be able to give you a price.

I guess hitching adds a level of uncertainty that you might not be able to fit into a tight timetable.

I have heard that hitching is quite easy in Corsica but have only tried it once trying to get down the Restonica valley. We got a lift but only half way.

The train stops at a place called Camp Raffalli (GR20), which is in between Calenzana and Calvi but I don't think the bus does. It's only 5km from Calenzana i.e. an hour's walk.

--

Alan

hikert

Posted: Sat, Sep 21, 2013, 20:19

Thanks. Camp Raffali is an option we didn't know about, and it sure can save us the 20-30 euros for the taxi.

hikert

Posted: Mon, Sep 23, 2013, 13:59

Can I buy the ferry ticket at Bastia, or should I pre-order it online (seems prices vary between sites)?

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Sep 23, 2013, 17:01

Any ferry company will sell you a ticket at the point of departure provided their office is open.

--

Alan