GR20 blog

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Sep 25, 2013, 9:45

Hi everyone.

I've been setting up my blog using my recent GR20 trip as practice material.

What do you think?

http://tips4travellers.wordpress.com/

--

Alan

Tarjei

Posted: Wed, Sep 25, 2013, 16:42

Hi Alan.

I like the look of it, and will go through your posts (looking forward to that).

However I think you should add some more line breaks in your posts, that will lighten up the read a lot. And I also miss some pictures in the posts (but that is my preference though).

I added your blog to my blog list on my blog, hope that is ok.

Tarjei

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Sep 25, 2013, 18:40

Tarjei

Thanks.

This is my first experiment with blogging and I'm finding it hard going!

Maybe too much style and not enough content using this template?

Dan's (Cpt Pickard) looks so much more readable....

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 25, 2013, 19:23

Alan,

I just finished reading your blog. A very interesting recount of your adventure. Great job! I really looking forward to your video and pics (I miss The Trail so much) ... by the way .... there were just a few of them on the blog. Did I miss something or the gallery is someplace else?

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Sep 26, 2013, 4:09

Hello TT,
I have reached your blog.....I am older into seventies etc....I am finding the blog difficult to get to grips with....I am kind of all over the place when trying to focus in on what is the progression of days that make the sequence of the journey. Maybe this my age. As you say Dan's type of presentation seems easier on my old eyes.
Me, I wouldn't know how to get started with anything of this type. I would guess that you can alter and adjust?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Sep 26, 2013, 16:26

Hello TT,
I have got a bit further with your blog report. Last night when I read your blog for the first time I was tired after a day out on the Drumochter hills with the 'bird killing folks'....in retirement I just hire old my old legs for the day to chase wee birds towards the culling machines....got to find something to earn cash for trips after being robbed blind by the GB financial system...bailed out by all of us! ....and now absolutely hideous interest rates on savings!
The upside down sequence and the colours were just too much for me at that time of night.
Couldn't find anywhere on your blog to do a reply?
Anyway I've got the feeling that we were all duped by PD's placing of the Breche de Capitellu...well not all his fault since it was incorrect placed on some of the IGN maps.
This should now read Bocca alle Porte and as I found coming from the South in June that the Parks folks have a new sign at the wee 'Corte Gully' which reads now Breche de Capitellu.
I would guess that the new series of guides to the route will have this sorted out?
Very thoroughly reporting on the stages so far read.
I take it that you camped overnight at Les Sables Rouges near Bastia?
The new trains were in the yard, wrapped in plastic, when we went down to Ajaccio for a day off from the GR in 2007. I've got the feeling that a lot of track upgrading work had to done before the trains could run on some of the tracks....we took the train from Bastia to Calvi in 2009 and it was still on one of the old trains then! I guess things happen slowly on Mediterranean islands. This year from Calvi to Casamozza was on two trains....wait for both were new ones! and after a change at Ponte Leccia onto the (from) Ajaccio train.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Sep 27, 2013, 20:26

Gaffr

I remember trying to get over the Drumochter pass when it was snowed up but didn't succeed. I also remember beating on pheasant (peasant?) shoots on the farm I lived on in my youth. Lots of hanging about in the freezing cold waiting for the toffs to finish their sloe gin and then them not being able to shoot straight again after that, which was fortunate for the pheasants.

The new trains on Corsica were very nice indeed. They looked especially good parked alongside each other in Vizzavona. Camping at Les Sables was OK too but not much space and too many lights.

I'm going to re-order the posts in sequence tomorrow and put them all into a sub menu now that I know how to do that!

Have you finished the Munro's yet?

Michele

I will post some more photo's on Flickr (rather than Picaso). I'm just waiting for a disc from my brother so that I have at least a few of me! Looking at some of the other blogs, I seem to have missed so much. I'll have to go back again....

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Sep 28, 2013, 7:14

Well done TT...the sequential access to the report will be very helpful. The folks from USA who seem to be posting while 'on the hoof' have their reports appearing 'latest first' kind-of backwards but I suppose for them it works OK since you are receiving the latest having read the 'before' earlier? (see GR20 in 10 days).

Munros have been visited some time ago. I course I still visit many of them at different times with different folks. The Corbetts (The wee Ronnies) are within reach....still around 20 or so to get to and I have been know to stretch my legs on the Elsies.

The beating for the shooters gives a very different day out on the high ground. In recent times I have been within a few meters of the tops of several Corbetts and similar with couple of the higher tops...it really depends on which position that you are allocated in the line....lots of traversing across ground that you would not normally travel over while on a day out in the hills. However it does provide a good work out for the old limbs.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Sep 29, 2013, 20:08

Dear all

I've been re-working the blog.

All in sequential order now and with photo's.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Oct 2, 2013, 18:48

Much more suitable for an old chap to read now!

Just a reminder regarding the Breche de Capitellu that was incorrectly placed on the French map that the guidebook writer used...The high point on the trail should now be Bocca alle or (a e) Porte. The Corte gully (yellow paint on the rock wall at the top) has now a new sign with Breche de Capitellu carved on it.
Send an e mail address and I will send you an image.
roger (dot) gaff (at) btinternet (dot) com

Gaffr.

Mod edit:
edited the email address to prevent spam :)

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Oct 3, 2013, 6:49

Gaffr

Looking at the map on http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil it marks the breche as Bocca Alle Porte but the sign at the gap still said Breche du Capitellu, which is marked on the map where you say it is. I guess the sign fixer-upper got it wrong!

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Oct 4, 2013, 13:07

Well from what you say? do I now understand that there are two signs at two locations with the same sign information.
When I got to the high point in June everything was under the snow so no sign of any reading to view.:-)
So what is needed is the sign at the high point to be removed and replaced with Bocca alle Porte.
I wonder how long it will take for this to happen.
So the new sign fixer is correct, putting the new sign at the Corte Gully, but did not have another one with which to replace the old one with Bocca alle Porte at the high point on the route.
Winter is coming so could be like this for a while.

Thanks, gaffr.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Oct 9, 2013, 12:22

Gaffr

I've been through my photo's again and matched them to my brothers that arrived in the post yesterday.

I'm pleased to say that the sign is in the correct location and not at the Bocca alle Porte as I thought.

There's no need to fly out with a spanner & drill to put things right after all!

--

Alan