Guided walking groups

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Oct 21, 2013, 17:22

Dear all

I've finished mapping what is currently on offer in terms of guided walking groups.

Some locations do seem to be particularly busy with guided groups but, for the most part, are off the main GR20 or there are alternatives available.

The most popular accommodation for groups:

The Bonifatu Gite on Sundays and Mondays. The refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu is the alternative.

The gite in the hotel in Haut Ascu on almost any day except Saturday and Sunday. Camping, the refuge or a hotel room are alternatives.

The Bergeries du Ballone seem to be used by all the groups except on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. I’ve camped there and really liked it. The food back in 2010 was fantastic. The alternative is the Refuge de Tighjettu, which is only 10 minutes away and had a great reputation in 2010.

The Gite run by the Hotel di Verghio next door to the hotel itself is heavily used by groups. The alternatives are the hotel itself and the campsite, which seems to be plagued by vicious foxes. In the hotel, you can get a standard hotel room or they have perfectly adequate bunk rooms in the basement, so no worries there. The food in the hotel is good too.

Thankfully only a couple of groups use the Refude du Manganu as most seem to use the pop up tents at the Bergeries de Vacagjia instead. Saturdays at Manganu are the day to avoid.

A few groups use the pop-up tents at Pietra Piana but there’s plenty of room there unless you want dinner too. This is in a tarp covered lean-to and could be a problem if it’s wet.

L’onda has very few groups and has ample inside eating facilities.

The gite in Vizzavona seems to be full of groups on Saturdays and sometimes on other days but there are alternatives at the hotel and campsite.

The Bergeries de Capannelle seems to be inundated a lot of the time so, unless you like a lively crowd, go up the hill to the Refuge U’Renoso. Don’t judge it on the scruffy exterior and go inside before you make your mind up. The bar is great, the food is good and it’s cheap….

The refuge at the Col de Verdi is busy with groups. Either camp or carry on to the superbly located Refuge de Prati.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be busy at the Refuge d'Usciolu. There’s no alternative here but at least a lot of the groups go further down the valley to Cozzano.

The Bergeries de Croci and Bassetta get a lot of use on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

The Refuge de Asinau doesn’t seem particularly busy with the main groups but, believe me, it is! Many of the groups seem to stay at the Bergeries du Asinau, so avoid that. I’d guess a lot more ad-hoc groups turn up on many days. They refuge have excavated more camping pitches out of the hillside so a pop-up tent should always be available as a fall-back option.

The gite at the Col de Bavella gets extensive group use except on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I’d recommend you stay on the GR20 to Asinau or the wonderful Refuge de Paliri.

There are a number of operators who haven't published dates or itineraries yet and some Corsica based operators who will put a tour together at any time provided there's enough interest. I haven't been able to map those.

This is a link to my spread sheet but docstoc does dissassembe it! I'll look for an alternative or I can email it to anyone if you want.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/162689267/GR20-chart-listing-when-and-where-...

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Mon, Oct 21, 2013, 18:57

Awesome job, Alan. Thanks a lot.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Oct 21, 2013, 20:23

Very useful and interesting data. It would seem from your data that June is the quiet month for travel on the route. Been twice in June but it was certainly not quiet. It must be close to chaos during the rest of the summer months.:-)
Both times, at Vizzavona, I stayed at the I Laricci dortoir, the wee buiding at the rear of the I Laricci hotel, found it to be quiet and reasonable change from the tent....my first such change when coming up from Conca this summer.

Does the data include the organised groups that kind of dip into and out of the GR20. I have seen, on-line, tours on offer that do bits and pieces of the route then drop down to villages usually on the west side of the main route. But of course Corte is an attraction on the other side of the route too. Nothing wrong with these arrangements probably designed to fit in with hotel type accommodation and to give the walkers a wider experience on the island.

--

Gaffr

cpt_pickard

Posted: Tue, Oct 22, 2013, 13:22

This is incredibly useful info.

cheers

Dan

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Oct 22, 2013, 14:58

Gaffr

I did find one or two groups that used a bit of the GR20 and advertised it as such but there may be more. There are probably companies using search terms in languages other than English as well that I wasn't able to find.

One or two companies haven't set itineraries yet so I'll add those in due course but if anyone knows of group organisers I haven't listed please let me know i.e.

Adventurepeaks.com
K E Adventures
Wildwomenontop.com
Macsadventure.com (self guided)
Alpenwild.com
Utracks.com
Expedadventure.com
Exodus
Worldexpeditions.co.uk
Teramagica.pl
topas.dk
GR20.com

It does look like the groups are using off-route gite's rather than refuges as they provide a better quality of accommodation and hot showers but the tougher independent travellers don't need those of course.......

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Oct 22, 2013, 16:23

Although advertised by the group organising companies on line these tours may or may not actually happen and I guess that it does take several folks to sign up for a tour for it to go ahead.
I may have mentioned on here before that I came across, in early June, a well organised group, consisting mainly of a french family who were well looked after by a very professional Corsican lady who will have been qualified at the International mountain walking leader level? The arrangement must have been via a Corsican company since she had a High Mountain guide available to meet the group for the passage over the terrain between Petra Piana and Manganu which, at that time, was very much under the snow. Maybe there are a few Corsican companies and other European companies also offering guided tours over the GR20?
I was aware that the group had accommodation at the Bergeries Vaccaghja and at Auberge U Vallone.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Wed, Oct 23, 2013, 14:16

I think there is also www.tour-aventure.com

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Oct 24, 2013, 7:30

Michele

Thanks. They seem to have a subsidiary company called corsica-adventure.com who re-sell KE adventure trips but they organise their own as well. I'll check them out.

Quite a few companies present their websites as though they are organising their own trips but are acrually reselling (presumably with a mark-up). adventurelink.com & responsible travel both seem to be reselling KE adventure trips.

--

Alan