Corsica: Lawlessness in heart of Europe (a documentary by PressTVGlobalNews)

Michele

Posted: Fri, Nov 29, 2013, 10:49

An aspect probably ignored by our touristic approach. The French island of Corsica has been the official murder capital of Western Europe located in the Mediterranean Sea, West of Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-Pi7XfTY4

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Dec 3, 2013, 19:07

Michele

Thanks for this. A fascinating if disturbing aspect of Corsican society. I was very concerned, before my latest trip, to hear that the president of the National Park had been assassinated. I guess this was connected with property speculation as well.

Thankfully it doesn't impact on visitors.

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Tue, Dec 3, 2013, 19:14

Yes Alan,

Thanks God this doesn't affect us. I was also shocked to hear (from one of the interviewees) how violence is kind of accepted and or taken for granted by the locals. Gees ...

Joanna

Posted: Wed, Dec 4, 2013, 6:28

Well, it might, unfortunately, affect innocent people/tourists as well. One of the asassinations that happened last summer was conducted on a public street, with bullets flying free among the terrified bystenders. Fortunately no one was hurt (except for the victim that is...).

Michele

Posted: Wed, Dec 4, 2013, 7:22

One more reason to stay up on the mountains ;)

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Dec 4, 2013, 17:26

It seems to be bit like an average day, sadly, in some of the big English cities.
What registered with me was the statement by the environmental lady to the effect that it is the perhaps the violence that stops the greater development of the seaside areas.
One of the major attractions, for me, of going to Corsica and making my way into the mountain terrain is not to come across the type of development for tourists that is so evident in many parts of the East coast of Spain. My own experiences on the island definitely show that what has been done for tourism on the coast is very much of a low level type of development. Even the celebrated five star Cala Rossa area North of Porto Vecchio is tucked away into the vegetation.

--

Gaffr