Mare a mare Sud accommodations

charlieler

Posted: Sun, Jan 12, 2014, 2:58

What sort of accommodations are available along this route? Are there inns or gites or just huts?

--

charlieler

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jan 12, 2014, 7:55

Hello,
We arrived to Burgo which is, from the West, the first overnight on the MM Sud route....we had joined the trail having come from Olmeto on the M.Monti Sud.
Burgo is a very fine comfortable gite to stay in. I think that I am right in saying that is was constructed by the gentleman who initiated the development of the GR20 route?
Our second night was spent in a room in Santa-Lucia-di-Tallano after discovering that the Gite was fully booked up.
The MM Sud is, with our observations, appears to be the most busy of all the routes after the GR20 which can be greatly overcrowded at the peak times. The MM Sud also appears to have a large amount of guided/accompanied groups with luggage being transported etc. who, it would appear, book the Gite accommodation well in advance.
Since we carry camping gear on our travels we found it possible to camp at a municipal camping site at Serra-di-Scopamena at which there is also a Gite in the village.
We stayed in the Gite at Levie and at Cartalavonu we camped and had food inside the Gite.
If you were to do the variant, Quenza/ Zonza etc I think that hotels provide the accommodation there. We found the camping was a little outside the village here.
At the Northern end of the trail, at Jallicu, we had breakfast but I am fairly sure that you can stay there overnight. This place is more like a Hut but is a very friendly place.
To reach Porto Vecchio, coming as we did from the West, there are a few kilometres to walk on a minor road before reaching the town.

--

Gaffr

ciarán giles

Posted: Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 10:35

Hello, hoping to do the mare a mare sud for the first time from sept 5th on. wondering can anyone tell me how far in advance one has to nreserve at the gites? is it a busy route at that time of year and imperative to take a tent too or can we rely on finding a place indoors? would also appreciate some idea of the prices they charge per persons and for meals. many thanks in advance