Mare e Monti

charlieler

Posted: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 20:29

I have made several reservations for gites/hotels along the route through Booking.com. I have then received e-mails from the establishments asking for a 30% payment in the form of a bank transfer. As an American, it is quite expensive to do this($40.00 per transfer) which adds considerably to the entire trip cost($40 x 10-11 nights). Apparently credit cards are not acceptable to Corsicans, so how else can one make reservations? I don’t know if it would be any less expensive, but would opening a French bank account be an option? Not even sure how to do that. From what I’ve read reservations are highly recommended even in April when we’re planning to go. Have never run into this kind of roadblock before. Help!!

--

charlieler

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Feb 1, 2014, 7:51

If I were you I would travel without booking anything. I would have thought that April would be less busy on this route. Our travel was at the end of May into June and really had just one problem with a night when camping was not allowed at Serrierra...as I said in my prior Posting here.
Carry a sleeping bag and travel with fancy.
Come to think of it there are two hostels in Galeria and two in Girolata and also two in Serrierra. Ota and Evisa have hotels etc. I don't think that you will ever be stuck for a roof over you head and a roof can be the stars....the person that I was travelling with was amazed with the sky during our night at the Bocca di Luca. Breakfast at the next location and pay for the use of a shower unit and off you go again!
Yes Corsica is a bit special....mainly a cash only economy.

--

Gaffr