Corte - Evisa in late March

dorset

Posted: Fri, Mar 7, 2014, 14:50

Hi everyone,

We want to start the mare-a-mare nord in corte, at the 30/3. from Evisa we plan to join the Tra-mare-e-monti-nord up to Galeria, for total 9 days of walk
A few very crucial quations:
1. Does anyone knows if there is snow on the track?
2. Can we sleep in A Saga shelter on the first day?
3. Is there a boat service from Galeria or Girolata to Calvi?

thanks, dorset

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Mar 9, 2014, 15:50

The National Park blog is showing a lot of snow cover at the moment:

http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.it/

--

Alan

dorset

Posted: Sun, Mar 9, 2014, 19:02

I can't understand from the blog- is there snow on the mare- mare trail?

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Mar 9, 2014, 20:33

I'm not quite sure of your route from the Refuge de Sega but you will need to cross some high ground to get to the west side of Corsica via Lac de Nino at 1700m or Col de Vergio at around 1500m. Maybe the hotel at Castellu di Verghio can give you an idea of conditions www.hotel-castel-vergio.com or contact the National Park or the Tourist Information Centre in Corte.

The Refuge de Sega will have a winter room open but there won't be any staff there in March.

--

Alan

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Mar 10, 2014, 9:41

It's pretty warm at Vergio at the moment: http://www.myweather2.com/Ski-Resorts/France/Vergio.aspx

--

Alan

dorset

Posted: Thu, Mar 13, 2014, 21:53

Thanks Alan!
It's hard to get information, everything is closed, including the hotel.
I guss I'll know when I'll grt there...

Can anyone advise me regarding the boat fom Galeia to Calvi?

dorset

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Mar 14, 2014, 8:00

The tourist information centre in Corte will be open. I've found them to be very helpful in the past:

Office de tourisme de Corte
La Citadelle - 20250 Corte
Tel : +33 (0)4 95 46 26 70
Fax : +33 (0)4 95 46 34 05
Email : corte.tourisme@wanadoo.fr

The bus from Galeria only runs in July & August.

The one from Porto along the D81 from June to September. You might have to hitch.

http://www.corsicabus.org/busCalvi/CLY_Porto.html

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 19:10

At such an early time in the season I would carry a tent etc?...which I always do on any route.
To avoid the higher ground, with probable still bits of winter still around, from Sega refuge area (sign posted and marked) go over the Bocca a Arinella circa 1500 metres to get easily down to Calacuccia/Albertacce then up to the Col de Verghio. This is the main route as described in the Corse Entre Mer et Montagne French Randonnee book of all the 'other main routes on the island'....walked this route from Moriani to Cargese in 2008.
The following of the Mare e Monti N. descending the Spelunca Gorges from Evisa would make good sence in the early season where you are more likely to find shelter and food along this route....followed this route, Mare e Monti from Calinzana starting 20 may 2009....all open and supplies available and with a bus to Porto from Cargese then change here for a bus to Calvi. Grand trail.
See the reports from a young man up on the high ground around the middle of May last year!

--

Gaffr

dorset

Posted: Tue, Mar 18, 2014, 20:18

Hello again,

Alan - I took your good advise and called the information. There aren't any snow on the rout!
Gaffr - thanks for the tips! unfortunatly, there are no buses from porto to bastia at this time

So, we'll walk from Corte to Evisa, and then go north.
In first night we'll sleep at A Sage hut . It is empty, but open. the next night is at Calacuccia's hotel. The hotel at Vergio pass is closed, so we'll have to walk strait to Evisa. It's a realy long walk (for us...), can it be shorten with a taxi, I wander.

dorset

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Mar 19, 2014, 19:12

Dorset

Thanks for the update. I hope it works out for you.

--

Alan