Luggage Storage

Tramper Ted

Posted: Sun, Mar 23, 2014, 23:49

We are coming from New Zealand in June to Calvi and would like to know if anyone has found somewhere to leave luggage while on the GR20. Will be doing it south to north. Thanks.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 7:31

Hi Ted,

If you're doing it in the south-north direction I believe you'll have no problems to leave your luggage at the LaTonnelle Camping (which is the starting "gite d'etape" for those going, like yourselves, from Conca to Calinzana).

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 8:28

Hello,
Just a thought.....maybe if travelling from South to North after arriving in the North (Calvi) the luggage would we required after the traverse?
Our only experience, of left behind kit, was some time ago when my wife left some belongings in the station in Bastia to be retrieved after we returned from the South prior to the journey home.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 8:34

Good point. Probably the best place where to leave the luggage would be the Calvi railway station (or maybe the airport, if they are arriving by air).

--Michele

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 9:13

I do not know about Calvi, but most of french railway stations have stopped accepting luggage for storage because of the fear of terror. F.ex. in Paris there is only one storage area left in the whole of the city, and to leave the luggage there it has to be x-rayed. And small stations around the country have closed theirs alltogether. So I would not count on the one in Calvi, or other places in Corsica.

Michele

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 9:25

Joanna, you have a good point. Although it seems very very unlikely (because illogic) a terrorist attack in a small and remote place like Vizzavona or Calvi etc.

cpt_pickard

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 10:08

It would require further investigation but sending the stuff to yourself via post as general delivery (poste restante) might do the trick. Could be even sent to Calvi, i.e. the end of your route.

I have never done that in France but did it elsewhere and it worked fine.

Dan

Joanna

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 11:22

Well, I would think the rules are the same for the whole of SNCF, no matter where the station is...

Tramper Ted

Posted: Mon, Mar 24, 2014, 19:55

Our experience recently of railway stations and airports is that they make it very expensive (and sometimes impossible) to leave luggage these days. We have had better luck with friendly hotels and even resorted to luggage storage facilities (in London), but don't expect there will be any of these (luggage storage) in Calvi. Any other ideas?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 8:52

Ted,
I know for sure that if you check in at some hotel they are usually kind enough to store your luggage until your return.

--Michele

PJ

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 11:13

Indeed, as Michele pointed out: I also did the same thing a few years back when I did the Mare a Mare South. Checked in at a hotel on the first day and left our luggage there until we returned after a few days.

P-J

Tramper Ted

Posted: Tue, Mar 25, 2014, 20:03

Thanks Michele and PJ, that was what we were hoping to hear. Have booked accommodation in Calvi and sent an email asking that question. Some places are far more happy to do this than others! :) :)

Tramper Ted

Posted: Sat, Dec 27, 2014, 21:19

In answer to Graham's question, we left our luggage in Calvi at the BnB and they were very happy to store it. We also stayed at the same place when we got back so it worked really well.