Doing a few days on northern part of GR20

Trine

Posted: Fri, Apr 11, 2014, 20:30

Hi,
Could anyone please recommend what would be the nicest part of the northern section of the GR 20 to do if we have approx 5 days for hiking? We are experienced and fit hikers and could do some double stretches if required. Planning to bring a tent with us, but mostly eat in the refuges on the way. We will land in Ajaccio and plan to go back there and pick up our stuff and rent a car after finishing the trek.
Thanks a lot for any ideas our thoughts you might have!

Trine

--

Trine

Michele

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 6:43

Hi Trine,

You could do the following:
Jump on the train in Ajaccio and reach Vizzavona:

1. Vizzavona - Onda - Petrapiana
2. Petrapiana - Manganu
3. Manganu - Castel de Verghio
4. Castel de Verghio - Bergerie de Ballone
5. Bergerie de Ballone - Haute Asco

Leave Haute-Asco by bus.

Or ... (and this would be more challenging)
3. Manganu - Castel de Verghio - Ciottulu de i Mori (VERY long)
4. Ciottulu de i Mori - Bergerie de Ballone - Haute Asco (kind of long-ish with the Cirque done in the midday)
5. Haute Asco - Carrozzu

Exit at Carrozzu the following day.

Best luck with your trek

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 7:26

Hello,
Can I ask during which month do you arrive on the island?

--

Gaffr

Trine

Posted: Sun, Apr 13, 2014, 7:53

Hi, thanks a lot for the mentioned advice! We will have a look into it. We arrive 7th of June...is it too early for the northern part maybe?

--

Trine

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Apr 13, 2014, 19:11

As Michele recommends, the best place to start is Vizzavona. Going south, you should be able to complete the whole southern section:

1. Vizzavona to Col de Verdi. It might be too early to do the high level route via Monte Renoso, but the low level route should be doable in a day at around 10 hours. If you have time on the day you arrive at Vizzavona, hike up to Capanelle on the same day. It's a pretty gentle 4 to 5 hour introduction to the GR20.
2. Col de Verdi to Refuge d'Usciolu
3. Usciolu to Refuge d'Asinau
4. Asinau to Refuge de Paliri
5. Paliri to Conca and bus to Porto Vecchia.
The only bus back to Ajaccio is 7am the next day: see www.corsicabus.org
If you're a day short, stop at the Col de Bavella.
Personally, however, if the conditions are OK, I'd go with Michele's options!

--

Alan

Kathleen

Posted: Wed, Apr 16, 2014, 16:18

Hello... So glad to see current discussion!! anyone have a number for the Hotel Monte Grosso? The one listed doesn't seem to be accurate.

--

Best Foot Forward... KK

Joanna

Posted: Sat, Apr 19, 2014, 14:30

Did you try this one: +33 495 627015

Hiker84

Posted: Sun, Apr 20, 2014, 11:12

How challenging and difficult is this route? Me and my girlfriend do not have that much experience in hiking but we are in a pretty good shape and condition.

Jump on the train in Ajaccio and reach Vizzavona:

1. Vizzavona - Onda - Petrapiana
2. Petrapiana - Manganu
3. Manganu - Castel de Verghio
4. Castel de Verghio - Bergerie de Ballone
5. Bergerie de Ballone - Haute Asco

Michele

Posted: Sun, Apr 20, 2014, 12:29

Hiker84,

Being in good shape and condition is fundamental. Regarding the lack of hiking experience I'm not sure what you mean exactly by that; however, please read my "Quick and dirty facts" about the GR20 and put yourselves in the right perspective: the GR20 requires a lot of energy, physical and mental. Besides that, even inexperienced hikers can do it. All you have to do is stick to the trailmarks and watch your steps. Now that said, some inexperienced folks "might" find the Cirque de la Solitude somewhat ... intimidating. It all very much depends on your attitudes and ability to do some easy scrambling. I say, go for it.
Finally, to answer you question "How challenging and difficult is this route?": not difficult, probably a little stressing but only the first day because it's a double stage.

--Michele

Trine

Posted: Thu, Jun 5, 2014, 10:08

Hi again,
Thanks for advice above regarding GR20. Unfortunately we might have to change our plans due to an inflamination in my foot, but hope to do some hiking. Can anyone advice a nice village where we could stay and do dayhikes? Or - what part of the the GR20(Northern) would you recommend if we only want to do 2-3 days with no double stages?

I know this is not the right forum, but maybe someone could advice for a couple of nice Bycycle routes as well? I have been looking at renting a bike in Porto or Ajaccio, but would very much appreciate advices you might have.

Thanks a lot again. Nice to have this kind of forum!

Trine

--

Trine

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 5, 2014, 11:18

Hello,
Corte is more Town than village but there are at least two camping sites behind the Citadel where access to both the Tavignanu and Restonica valleys can easily be reached. Have not been in Restonica but the Tavignanu gave us access to Sega refuge Manganu and Col de Vergio etc. A couple of minutes from the camping you are on the trail....On that occasion we were travelling the Mare a Mare Nord from Moriani to Cargese.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jun 5, 2014, 16:01

There's a great looking campsite part way up the Restonica Gorge called Camping Tuani www.campingtuani.com I haven't camped there but did hike past it.

The Gorge itself is fabulous. More spectacular than Tavingnano but much busier too as there's a road going up it. A Navette minibus runs up to the Bergeries at the road head in the height of summer or you can drive and park there. The trail up to Capitellu or the Refuge Pietra Piana would be a great day hike.

Going up Tavingnanu to the Refuge de Manganu and back down Restonica would be a good 2 day trip too provided you can link up with the navette. The hike down the road isn't much fun.

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 5, 2014, 16:39

I will expand on what Alan just wrote.

From the Camping Tuani (where I also slept) you can do a fabulous 2 day hike. You could take the trail that goes up to the Lac d'Oriente and further up to Mount Rotondo. You will descend on the other side to PietraPiana and sleep there. The next day you will return doing the GR20 till the breche de Capitellu and down via the 2 lakes to the bergerie de Grotelle where there is the asphalt road that'll take you down to the Camping Tuani (in this case either you'll ride a bus or hitchhike - if you don't want to walk).

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Jun 6, 2014, 7:57

That would be a great 2 day hike but I'd suggest that reversing it might be better for a couple of reasons.

By starting at Grotelle, you can coordinate with the Navette and walk straight back to the camp site.

The way down from Rotondo to Pietra Piana isn't well marked and easy to get lost on as my friend John discovered. Going the other way is much easier. See http://tips4travellers.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/how-to-get-to-the-summit...

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jun 6, 2014, 9:46

Very good point(s). Thanks Alan!!!

manujenkin@gmail.com

Posted: Tue, Jan 27, 2015, 11:35

Hello Michele
We are planning a 7 day trek on the North part of GR20 this summer. Due to time constraint we would like to miss the first 2 stages and ideally go from Carrozzu to Vizzavona.
From where can we get to Carrozzu refuge? we are planning to leave our car at Ponte Leccia and take a bus or navette to start of trek.
An alternative would be to start from Haut Asco and do the Monte Cinto as an extra stage. If you have done both, can you recommend which you would favour? We will be two families (4 adults and 4 teenagers) and have all previously trekked in the French and Spanish Pyrenees.

Thank you for your reply.
Manou

--

Manou

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jan 27, 2015, 12:08

Hi Manou,

The shortest way to reach Carrozzu is to drive/catch a ride directly to the Maisone Forestiere de Bonifatu which is at the end of the D251 coming from Calvì. I don't know if there is a bus service, but you can certainly use a taxi.
From there it's a 5 km easy walk up to the hut.

The Monte Cinto alternative is certainly very appealing, but it takes some additional easy scrambling, so this is really up to you. I'd say go with the M.Cinto alternative if the weather forecast is good and you won't regret it.

I'm sure the other forum members will give their contribution as well to this conversation.

Enjoy your GR20

--Michele

manujenkin@gmail.com

Posted: Tue, Jan 27, 2015, 13:21

Thank you Michele for your speedy reply.

I was tempted to do the stage from Carrozzu since le pont suspendu is recommended by many but how long would it take to do Bonifatu to haut asco? Doable in one day?

We are thinking of renting tents from the refuges ; do you know if they come with (inflatable) mattress?

Thank you

Manou

--

Manou

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jan 27, 2015, 13:41

Manou,

You may certainly do the Bonifatu-Haute Asco stage in one day. However, from your point of view, if you arrive in the afternoon-early evening at Bonifatu it would be advisable to start your 5 km walk immediately for Carrozzu and sleep there. But if you prefer to sleep at Bonifatu you should add some 3 hrs walk to Carrozzu and 5h30m from Carrozzu to Haute Asco.

The tents for rent come with self inflatable mattresses.

--Michele

bluebreeze

Posted: Mon, Jul 13, 2015, 5:18

Hi there,

I have got a problem. My friend just quit with the route and we got off the trail. We were walking south to north but I want to get back and continue the trek. I am in Ajaccio now but I am planning to go to Haut Asco and walk from there to Vizzavona.

How do I get to Haut Asco by bus and do I arrive at the refuge or do I have to walk a way to it? I'm not an experienced hiker and I hope that I can join a group of people because I think that walking alone isnot safe.

Thank you.

Ps. Or I can also start from Vizzavona and go to Haut Asco but I think that less people are walking south to north?

bluebreeze

Posted: Mon, Jul 13, 2015, 5:18

Hi there,

I have got a problem. My friend just quit with the route and we got off the trail. We were walking south to north but I want to get back and continue the trek. I am in Ajaccio now but I am planning to go to Haut Asco and walk from there to Vizzavona.

How do I get to Haut Asco by bus and do I arrive at the refuge or do I have to walk a way to it? I'm not an experienced hiker and I hope that I can join a group of people because I think that walking alone isnot safe.

Thank you.

Ps. Or I can also start from Vizzavona and go to Haut Asco but I think that less people are walking south to north?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 13, 2015, 8:31

Hello BB,
I am happy that you got started on the route. I recall that you were arriving at Poretta at 2000 hrs last week. I assume that you sorted out the problems of an evening arrival? Apologies for the info re the pick up for the morning bus down the East coast! The bus stops at the airport only when coming up from the South!
Since you are returning by air from Poretta it would be easier for you to finish at the Northern end in this case Haut Ascu. Train from Ajaccio up to Vizzavona. When you finish some sort of transport down to Ponte Leccia then train to Casamozza or the next wee station up the line then walk to the airport.
6 or 7 days of walking for you?

--

Gaffr