Monte Cinto from Lozzi

andra83

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 12:57

Hi there,

I am coming to Corsica for some days at the beginning of May and I will stay in Porto (I have a car rented). I would like to climb Monte Cinto from Lozzi, but I read some older articles that say that the road from Lozzi to the point where you begin climbing by foot can only be made with a terrain car 4x4.

Do you know if this is still true? If it's true is there another possibility?

How many hours does it take to climb Monte Cinto from the place you cannot longer go by car? Are there any refuges on the way?

Thank you in advance!
Andra

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 19:04

Hello,
Although I have only been into Monte Cintu on the North side from Haut Ascu but there is a refuge on the South side on the track up from Lozzi....Refuge de L'Erco.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 19:07

I have just seen 'the beginning of May' in your query. Probably have the best chance of avoiding too much snow coming from that side....plenty of sun on the south side.:-)

--

Gaffr

andra83

Posted: Sat, Apr 12, 2014, 20:04

Hi Gaffr,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to go from the south side (from Lozzi), but I read that the road from Lozzi to the point where you begin climbing by foot - which is around 7 km, can only be made with a terrain car.

Do you know anything about this?

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 13, 2014, 6:23

Hello,
There is nothing to stop you walking the track.....just another thought regarding the refuge in early May.
It probably will not be open for business at this time in the year. If it is like the other refuges on the GR20, in the off season, they are left open but if this is the case you will need to carry your own camping kit etc. Myself and probably most of the other folks who write to the forum have been to the high ground on the island no earlier than in June when everything gets up and running.

--

Gaffr

cpt_pickard

Posted: Sun, Apr 13, 2014, 19:19

Even though I, too, have visited the highlands in June only, I do not think that an unstaffed refuge poses any problem in this endeavour. If you have your own tent, food and stove, there is no need for the refuge at all. Just pitch the tent and be done with it.

Let us know how it went.

Dan

andra83

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 11:12

Hi Dan,

Thanks. I have no tent with me, I am staying in Porto at a hotel. I am thinking to start the ascend early in the morning from Lozzi, I think it doesn't take more then 4-5 hours to the peak (and get down in the same day). The only problem is the road from Lozzi to the point where you begin climbing by foot, which is of some kilometers. I understood that the road can only be made with a terrain car (which I don't have).

I am not sure if this is true though, maybe the road is fine now.

Regards,
Andra

cpt_pickard

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 11:52

I see. Well, if you are not equipped for camping, you better expect the refuge to be unstaffed, closed, out of order anything of such sort.
I cannot comment on the roundtrip idea as I have not been to the particular location. The rule of thumb is that in Corsican mountains everything takes a wee bit longer than expected :)

As for the 4x4 - now that's a tricky one. I have been to many places around the world where the guidebook/internet fora said that it was accessible with a 4x4 only whilst any reasonable car could actually go through and the offroad was only needed during floods or so. This may NOT be the case here, yet it is worth investigating in situ as these recommendations tend to be biased towards the safe side.

Good luck

Dan

andra83

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 12:12

Thanks for the tips! I will just go there and see what's the current situation of the road and post an update here after my trip, for the other's interested to go there in the following summer months.

Regards,
Andra

Michele

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 12:16

Andra,

You write that you have a car rented. Sorry the silly question: how about changing the reservation into a 4-wheel drive vehicle? I know it will cost you more, but probably it is worth it.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 12:19

Andra

The 4X4 track looks more like a dirt road on Google Earth but I'm not sure I'd want to take a hire car up there in case I got into difficulties. Check you have a spare tyre before you try it at least.

The worst case scenario is that you get there early and find it isn't driveable. 7km going up will take a bit less that 2 hours. Add that to the round trip from the refuge to the summit (you say 4 to 5 hours). If you set off at 8am (which isn't very early), you'll be back at the refuge at 3pm and can take your time getting back to Lozzi. Sunset will be around 9pm, so that gives you plenty of time.

The footpath cuts off most of the zig zags of the road so it could be a lot less than 7km.

--

Alan

andra83

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 12:31

@Michele, Ah...I think I can't do that. I rent the car (small one) in Sardinia, stay some days there and then cross by ferry in Corsica, for 3 days. The car is rented for one week.

@Alan, Thanks for looking into it with Google Earth. I will be able to reach the summit and get down the same day, only if I can make the 7km by car. If the road is really too harsh for a smaller car then I will search for a peak which is easier to get too.

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 18:44

Andra

Why not go up to Haut Ascu and climb from there?

The distance is similar to that from the refuge above Lozzi and the height is only 100m or so more.

--

Alan

andra83

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 19:12

@Alan, Staying in Porto, the south part is more easily accessible. It takes me 1h 30 min to get to Lozzi. And it seems that the hike from Haut Asco to Monte Cinto takes a bit more, at least according to this link:

http://longdistancetrail.wordpress.com/trails/2011-gr20-corsica/

Haut Asco -> Monte Cinto -> Haut Asco
Walking time 7:20 – 16:20 (so around 9 hours)

Seems that to get to Monte Cinto, you really need to spend at least one night with the tent, up on the mountains. If you want to go up and get down in the same day, it's a bit more difficult.

Andra

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 14, 2014, 20:20

As I tried to indicate earlier that the approach from Haut Ascu is from the North so that the snow remains longer on this side.
Just looked up my book for the journey in 2008....it was the 12 of June when I visited Monti Cintu and at that time there were a couple of big snowfields higher up.
I think that the Finnish gentleman went in July? and I know from his reports on his blog of routes done in other parts of Europe that he is a fast walker.
Of course from Porto, a fine place to stay, we camped there on our way back from the Mare a Mare Nord some years ago...will give fairly rapid access over the Col de Vergio and down to the Calacuccia area.
Let us all know how you get on with your trip.

--

Gaffr

andra83

Posted: Tue, Apr 15, 2014, 11:46

@Gaffr, Good to know. I was actually looking at the peak from "Col de Vergio". Seems that the climb begins somewhere close to the parking place and that the peak is quite high - so I have a good landscape view from there (not sure how the peak is named though). Maybe I can do this peak, if it doesn't require harsh climbing skills. I am more a hiker ;))

andra83

Posted: Tue, Apr 15, 2014, 15:30

I just got a response from the Camping site at Lozzi: (for other's who would be interested for summer)

"The way to the mountain is very bad and can only be made with 4x4 "special".

It's better to climb by foot from the camping since the start of the climb (env 1h30) + ascension (env 3h30).

You must start early in the morning at 6 o'clock at the later."

So the total duration of the hike would be of around 5 - 6 hours from Lozzi parking place.

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Apr 15, 2014, 19:40

Andra

That's useful information.

Are you going to give it a go?

Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all!

--

Alan

Jennka

Posted: Tue, Apr 15, 2014, 20:12

Climbed Monte Cinto back in june 2008. Driving the track from Lozzi to Refuge de l'Ercu was impossible with a normal car. Got stuck after 25m. It took us about 9,5 hours to the summit and back, starting from camping U Monte Cintu. Good luck on your hike!

andra83

Posted: Wed, Apr 16, 2014, 16:47

@Alan, 9-10 hours from Lozzi is a bit too much I think. If I could have made that road by car, I would have gone for it.

I think I will try the hike which starts at "Col de Vergio" and leads up on a peak, on the GR20.

Will come back with some photos of the landscapes!

@Jennka Thanks!

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Apr 17, 2014, 6:41

Andra

The walk up to the Refuge de Ciottulu di i Mori from Vergio is very pleasant.

If you want a proper peak, there's always Monte d'Ore from Vizzavona. The last few metres need some scrambling to get on top. It's a fine peak.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 17, 2014, 10:27

Paglia Orba which is directly behind the refuge Ciottlu di I Mori is a fine mountain.... third highest in Corsica?....but perhaps not the place to be wandering/scrambling about solo especially so at the beginning of May!

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Apr 17, 2014, 11:53

Gaffr

I agree. There's a great scramble up to the window in the rock face, which zig zags accross a seemingly sheer face. I'd put it at about grade 2 scambling, so not for novices. I think the best a walker would reach is the col between the two peaks.

Another great day out would be to go the Col de Bavella and do the low level route to about 3km from the Refuge d'Asinau until you reach the sign for the high level route, which you follow back to the Col. That should be snow free. If it isn't just back track.

--

Alan

andra83

Posted: Fri, Apr 18, 2014, 6:42

Alan & Gaffr, thanks for the tips! They are very helpful.

I will come back with some impressions and photos after my holiday! See you.

And "Happy Easter"!

Andra

andra83

Posted: Wed, May 7, 2014, 17:55

Hi there!

Back from Sardinia and Corsica with some photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114294504086384687148/albums/601065581443...

Wonderful islands both! I made a short hike from Lozzi to see Monte Cinto, but it was always hiding in the clouds. The road to Refuge de l'Ercu is not practicable by car, you begin the hike from the camping in Lozzi. Great mountains and views in Corsica, still snow on higher peaks though at the beginning of May.

What I noticed is that there weren't too many signs for Refuge de l'Ercu. The road had more paths.

Such a wonderful mountain island!

Regards,
Andra

Gnome

Posted: Wed, May 7, 2014, 19:29

Great Pics Andra, always a pleasure to see that beautiful island again...

--

-Noam

andra83

Posted: Wed, May 7, 2014, 20:52

Thanks Noam! Good to hear that you liked them. I just came back from the islands, where I was for one week (4 days in Sardinia and 3 days in Corsica).

Although I did not see too much of them and I was more traveling by car, I recharged my batteries seeing so nice landscapes. I wish I had more time to hike in Corsica, but maybe another time.

They are just great!

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 8, 2014, 6:03

Thanks for the images.....never been onto Sardinia or around Bonifacio. I guess that most of us, when on the GR's, don't get near to any of the spectacular terrain away from the mountains. We walk for several days then descend at the finish to board a bus, usually along the East coast of the island, then catch a flight/ferry back to mainland Europe.
We did, after two of our journeys, see something of the West coast during a white knuckle ride back to Porto/Calvi on the island bus service and of course, during a walking tour, the area area around Calacuccia from the bocca Arinella when travelling the Mare a Mare N. from the Moriani through Corte and the fabulous Tavignana gorge on our way up to the Col de Vergio before descending to Cargese.

--

Gaffr

andra83

Posted: Thu, May 8, 2014, 8:48

Hi Graff, I am happy that I could share the images with you! I am sure that the GR trail is as interesting, if not even more interesting then staying at the shore. Higher peaks had still some snow on them, but I think that at the end of June will not be much left.

Curious to see any pictures of people going this summer on the trail!

All the best,
Andra

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 8, 2014, 10:58

Hello,
I have a few reasonable images from last June on the trail.
On the GR20 Forum...Page 2.....Corse 'fra li monti' June 2013. There is a link to 'Walkhighlands' which will give you a wee flavour of the journey.

--

Gaffr

andra83

Posted: Thu, May 8, 2014, 20:04

Found it, very nice pics also!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33438

Seems to be quite some snow even in June. Then probably in late July or August disappears :D

For all the mountains lovers here, I can only recommend "Fagaras" Mountains in Romania, my home country - in case you would like to see a part of the Carpathians.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114294504086384687148/albums/563075046927...

This summer I want to reach the highest peak in Romania, "Moldoveanu Peak", which is around 2550 m. I tried last year also with some friends in a weekend, but it was not that easy.

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 10, 2014, 7:32

Hello,
I do feel that last year was maybe a bit exceptional with the amount of snow still around on the GR20 in early June. We have been before in June and have found the conditions very different...e.g. in 2007, our first visit, you really had to out of your way to touch snow! so the conditions on the trail were dry and warm all the way down to Conca. In 2008 only a little bit different from the previous year with a few soft snowfields remaining on Cintu. However in 2009 we journeyed to Porto Vecchio using three of the other GR routes on the island....there was a very large amount of snow at the higher levels (GR20) although we did arrive to the island on the 18th, of May. I think that it might be fair to say that each year is different as you expect in a mountain area.
Thanks for a look at your images from the quiet mountain areas in Romania and when you reach Moldoveanu peak let us all have access to the images.....I will have to look up on map just where these mountains are situated. I seem to recall that Nicholas Crane went this way through the Carpathians during his very long! walk from Santiago in Spain down to Istanbul. The outcome of this walk was the book Clear Waters Rising.

--

Gaffr

andra83

Posted: Sun, May 11, 2014, 9:17

Hi Graff,

Sure, I will come back with some more images from this summer's hikes!

Here is a bit more informations about the mountains:

http://travelguideromania.com/fagaras-mountains-the-highest-mountains-in...

If you ever decide to go there, just let me know. I would be happy to give you all the information!

Korakal

Posted: Sun, Sep 6, 2015, 9:21

We have been at Monte Cinto two weeks ago. We have been at Camping l'Arimone for the night and left at 6.15 (sunrise). The walk to the end of the 7km road (42.359164, 8.971702 - an abandoned snackbar) starting at l'Arimone took us about 1.5-2 hours, using the shortcuts that can be used by foot.
The ascend to Monte Cinto summit and return to l'Arimone took us to just after sunset (22.00). Although we are experienced mountain walkers, we are still a little slow at it...

About the road: during our walk we found out that the road condition was quite okay. It seems that road improvements are going on nowadays. Officially, the road can't be entered as it is only for local and agricultural traffic; there is a metal barrier and a sign indicating that. We found an amazing view for night sky photographing near the snackbar, so we decided to drive up the road at night. Although my RWD car was covered in dust, driving slowly took us there without problems. The road is bumpy and requires careful driving, but it can be done. I would recommend a car with a little more ground clearance than a BMW 1-series :)

Michele

Posted: Sun, Sep 6, 2015, 16:55

Thanks Korakal for your report!

I see you climbed up to Monte Cinto from the southern side. Too bad that dirt road was closed. It's a boring section. The fun part should start from Refuge de l'Ercu an up.

--Michele