Starting at Castel di Verghio - transport

Nsar

Posted: Wed, Apr 23, 2014, 9:04

Hi,
I'm planning on re-joining the GR20 (after a 10 year gap, unfinished business and all that). I finished at Castel di Verghio last time so would like to re-join trail there. Not booked flights yet, so could fly to Calvi or Bastia, it all comes down to which is the easier for access up to the trail.

Have had a reasonably good Google around but can't seem to find any good info on bus timetables. Happy to try to get a taxi/hitch the last few miles.

Thanks in advance

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Apr 23, 2014, 19:24

Nasr

Bastia is possibly a little more convenient as you need to get to Ponte Leccia, which is where the Bastia & Calvi trains meet. The train from Bastia covers a shorter distance.

For bus and train timetables, go to www.corsicabus.org

It's an independent website rather than an official transport site, but I've found it to be good and accurate.

The service to Verghio is bookable taxi that you pick up from the train station at Ponte Leccia via http://www.taxi-corse.fr

There are cheap EasyJet flights into Bastia on Sundays but they arrive too late for the morning train. You'll need to wait most of the day for the afternoon train.

--

Alan

Nsar

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 10:41

Thanks for the info. Looking at other comments on here about the eye watering cost of taxis I might be better getting the bus to Haut Asco and doing the two previous stages, they are both memorable in very different ways!

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 11:49

Good plan!

The alternative is take the train to Corte and walk up the wonderful Tavingnano Gorge to the Refuge de Sega then pick up the Mare a Mare Nord over towards Calacuccia but instead of dropping down to Calacuccia, traverse round the hill on forest tracks to Verghio.

--

Alan

Nsar

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 11:58

Interesting suggestion...

do you have any sense of how easy it is to find co-travellers to pre-book a taxi from Ponte Leccia up to Verghio and the cost? (I'm thinking that maybe day 1 being Cirque de La Solitude isn't the smartest idea at nearly 50 yrs old)
I'm not planning on going till early Aug.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 18:28

Must say I'm a bit confused! Day one...Cirque de la Solitude? It would only be day one if you were travelling South from Haut Ascu?
All the talk has been about getting to Col de Vergio. On that Itinerary heading North the Cirque would be day two after a stay at Vallone or at Tighettu refuge?
Maybe there is a mix up over the two locations which have roads which can be used for access?

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 19:07

Nsar

It all depends on the complexity of your journey (how tired you are when you arrive & if you have time to get a decent night's kip), your fitness levels (can you manage a 7 hour day on the hills before you go) and experience (are you a competent scrambler). If you're OK on these, then you should be fine.

You can try posting on here (in the taxi share) section for travel buddies.

--

Alan

Nsar

Posted: Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 21:23

Ask me in a month when I've tested myself in the Lakes!

My recollection of the Cirque was that it was easier than I had heard although the scramble back out was "interesting" with melt water pouring down my neck as I was trying to grab the chain and I was glad to hit the sunshine again at the top.

Certainly my memory of the Bergerie and the meal on the the balcony is one I absolutely treasure.

The next stage down to Verghio is a lovely stroll after the first pull up.

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Apr 25, 2014, 6:42

Nsar

If you're a competent scrambler then the Cirque is easy enough provided it isn't full of snow as it was last year well into June.

I stayed at the Bergeries too and had a wonderful meal on that terrace. I can still remember their Soupe de Corse! Be aware that a lot of groups now use the bergeries. I did some research and plotted all the ones I could find. I'll try to update that before the season kicks in.

See this thread: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/24732

--

Alan