Camping at the refuges

pookey

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 6:30

Hi all,

I have booked every night at a refuge along my way, however I'm wondering what happens if I'm a day late for camping? Does anyone know if am I likely to need to pay again for simply running a day late?

I'm also half tempted to flip my North to South and do South to North as I'm worried about the weather conditions - is that a sane worry, and also what are the thoughts around if I'd be able to email the guys who handle the booking and change the days of my stops.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 7:11

Hello,
I didn't know that you had to book for camping. I have always carried my own tent and have never needed to book. Of course It could be different if you are using one of the hired tents which are available at refuges? I would have thought that if this is the case you would be catered for if you were running late on your itinerary. The refuges seem to have reserves of tents. Well my observations made me aware of a few unused erected tents!
I don't know when you are planning to start on the route? Last year when there was probably more snow around than this year at the same time, late may/early June, I started in the South and everything worked out fine.

--

Gaffr

pookey

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 7:19

I'm planning on starting on the 1st of June.

Due to semi-poor planning, I booked and paid for pitches for tents as I thought it was required. I soon found out afterwards that it wasn't at all, and I've probably just made life a little harder as now I've got set dates!

If you started south late may last year, you'd probably have hit the north side not too long after I'll be starting on - so maybe I'm worrying over nothing. As the date is getting closer, I'm starting to worry more ;)

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 9:32

Hello,
Worrying about things is not too good....The GR20 is a beautiful walk through the mountains. You should be able to look forward to a pleasurable journey.
If you look at the Forum a fairly recent report....GR20 27/04-10/05...near to end of this series of comments regarding the journey you will find out what the folks found on the route and the subsequent reply by others who continued after the 'forum poster' ran out of time to complete the route.
The report relates to the conditions of two weeks ago from today! Now when you reach the Cirque it will be two weeks forwards from today maybe around the 5th of June? We are looking here at events that happened a month before you will arrive there! You will also read that the first three stages to reach Haut Ascu from Calinzana were found to be without any problems by the two folks who completed the route.
Supposing when you reach Ascu and there is a problem with the Cirque I am sure that, as folks found last year, that a small bus was available, for a fee, to get around the stage!
If you also keep checking the Forum they well be others returning from the GR20 who will provide more up-to-date information.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 9:35

....correction to the final sentance......Forum...there may well be others etc.

--

Gaffr

pookey

Posted: Wed, May 21, 2014, 9:55

Gaffr,

Great to have put my mind at rest a little. Thank you so much for your replies - they really are appreciated!

dermot.hughes650

Posted: Tue, Jul 1, 2014, 20:27

Hello,
I am planning to do the GR20 with a friend starting August 1st to August 16th. We intend to camp. Can someone please confirm that you do NOT need to reserve camping or pay for it before arriving at the refuges. We are carrying our own tent.
Thanks.

--

Dermot

pookey

Posted: Tue, Jul 1, 2014, 21:40

You do not need to book for camping. In fact, when I went, you didn't seem to *need* to book for refuges, but that was early june so not so busy.

I'd actually advise against booking for camping, as you don't know what days you might have the energy to double up on (or do 1.5 stages, if I remember correctly that's a good option on stage 11?). Also, you might have to stay still due to storms for a day.

Some of the camp sites filled up quick though, and the best spots go first of course. Set off early to get the best spaces and avoid the heat :)

have fun!

dermot.hughes650

Posted: Tue, Jul 1, 2014, 21:45

Thanks for your reply !

--

Dermot

Margaret Whiteley

Posted: Thu, Jul 31, 2014, 10:04

We shall be walking the GR20 in late August to mid September. We are planning to camp. Someone has recently told us that "there is very little ground for pitches and what there is very stony, lots of ants to contend with and tales of wild pigs trashing tents". Is there any truth in this? Also, we have heard conflicting reports on the huts. Some say they pack you in like sardines, others say they are mostly pretty good. Is there a definitive description of hut life?

--

Wags

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jul 31, 2014, 12:11

Must say that I have tended to avoid the 'inside hut life'. On my travels along the route,a separation of seven years, I have noticed that there are many more pitched tents for hire nowadays. So I guess that there is is less tent space for the real randoneers:-) Ants... I was only aware of large numbers of these at Carozzu. At places where there are some stravaiging animals at say Col di Vergio and at l'Onda refuge the camping is behind fenced areas....animals outside humans inside the wires. I have only ever met the porkers on the trail while walking although some large ones were rooting about near where we had our pitch at col di Verde...they didn't interfere with us! Foxes can be trouble if you have food lying around your tent area.
Since a lot of the problems are down to very large numbers of folks travelling the GR20 in June - August you should have a easier trip in September?

--

Gaffr

Margaret Whiteley

Posted: Thu, Jul 31, 2014, 16:09

Thanks very much, Gaffr. That has been very useful.

--

Wags