What is the total elevation gain for S-N direction (and N-S)?

iheartmountains

Posted: Wed, Jun 4, 2014, 18:32

I have seen different numbers given online. I'm wondering what the total elevation gain is from south to north. And also from north to south.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 6, 2014, 4:01

Hello,
Having been along the trail in both directions.....I did once work it out, very roughly, and there was not a great deal of difference in the total cumulative ascents. I does depend quite a bit upon which route you take, there are several variations at the stages, and also whether or not you take in a few of the mountains on offer along the route.
I did once work out the average amount of ascent per day over the 15 days and it came out at around 800-850 metres....and the other long distance routes on the island were around the 550-650 metres per day of uphill stuff.
Coming from Conca in the south you do have a much easier first day out....Paliri the first overnight is maybe around 500 metres lower (than Piobbu in the North) and is an easier gradient whereas Calinzana to Piobbu is a much tougher first day....steeper gradient and the refuge area is 500 metres higher than Paliri. On the first day out with a heavy pack this might be a useful consideration?

--

Gaffr