Any South Africans (or people who need a Schengen Visa) who did the GR20?

Mandie123

Posted: Tue, Jul 1, 2014, 16:53

Hi

I am from South Africa and plan to do the GR20 at the end of August/beginning of September 2014. All my flights and accommodation pre and post the hike have been booked, but it seems as if I cannot get a visa since I cannot prove my accommodation while on the hike. I was not planning to pre book in the refuges.

Any advise?

Can I get a letter from the authorities stating that I will be hiking on set dates? If so, where should I apply for such a letter?

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 1, 2014, 19:23

Hello,
We in GB are not part of the Schengan arrangements and all we have to do when arriving to Corsica is to produce our passport, at ferry-port or at airport, an no other questions are asked....but of course we are a member of the EU. Must say that I have come across Argentinian folks, Australians and many others from outside of the EU while walking and camping along the GR route.
Would the pre-booking of just one refuge satisfy the authorities regarding accommodation?
Have you contacted the Corsican Department offices in Ajaccio?

--

Gaffr

Mandie123

Posted: Wed, Jul 2, 2014, 5:21

Thanks Gaffr

Unfortunately they need proof of accommodation for every night. I went ahead and pre-booked my spot in the bivouac (carrying my own tent) for the whole trip. I will still be able to be flexible, if I am prepared to loose a few Euro's, but at least now I will be able to get a Visa.

Interestingly I could not find a refuge to book at Vizzavona on the parc website, so I booked two nights at the previous refuge to make sure that I m covered. Did I miss anything or is there not a refuge there?

Francois

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 2, 2014, 6:48

Hello,
That is good you are now ready for the trip.
At Vizzavona there does not seem to be refuge but there is an assortment of accommodation....rough campsite behind the station, Hotels, across from the station there is restaurant that has beds. Both times for me I stayed at the simple bunkhouse with good hot showers behind the I Laricci Hotel which was a wee break from using the tent at the other stages.
I guess that it is only the accommodation provided by the Parc folks which appears on the website. At many places along the route there is extra places to stay....e.g. where the roads cross/end at the cols and at the several bergeries along the route.

--

Gaffr

Mandie123

Posted: Wed, Jul 2, 2014, 15:46

Thank you Gaffr

I must say that your comments on all the posts are very helpful and does put my mind at ease on what I am about to embark on. Now I just need that Visa then I am all set for my adventure. Months of planning and preparation now lies in the hands of the French authorities to issue me with a Visa.

One more question, do you have any idea what time the train to Bastia comes through Vizzavona?

Francois

Borrie

Posted: Thu, Jul 3, 2014, 9:11

Hey,

check http://www.train-corse.com/ete_2014_bastia_ajaccio.pdf for the timetables..

Have fun!

Mandie123

Posted: Fri, Jul 4, 2014, 14:07

Thanks Borrie

Do one get tickets at the station in Vizzavona? Any idea what the cost for a train ticket would be?

I assume they only take cash?

Francois

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 5, 2014, 6:22

Hello,
I should know. We had a break when we arrived at Vizzavona and took a return ticket on the train down to Ajaccio for the day.....I can't recall whether we got tickets at the wee station or on board the train.
Most of the transactions you will make on the island are in cash.....take plenty of euros. :-) It is mostly, along the GR20, a cash regime.

--

Gaffr

Mandie123

Posted: Sat, Jul 5, 2014, 16:05

Thanks Gaffr, will do.