Crowding on GR20

anna

Posted: Wed, Jul 2, 2014, 16:45

HI,
I did the GR20 13 years ago, south to north, in September. Not crowded, wonderful.
My boyfriend is now thinking of doing it, late July. He is concerned about crowding. I have seen references to it being busy at this time of year, but can't find stats about how many people do it then, to compare with how it felt in Sept.
So, can anyone say whether it just feels like being in queue to do the walk in July? He's going to do it south to north, which I think means there would be fewer following his route, and he will take his own tent, so doesn't need to worry about crowding in refuges.
Should he be put off, or is it ok?
Thanks!

--

Anna

Michele

Posted: Wed, Jul 2, 2014, 18:19

Anna,

with the increased popularity of this walk it's no surprise to find it more crowded than 13 years ago. However, in my experience, you meet the crowd only around the huts. Of course your boyfriend will find people along the way as well, but not to the point of being in a queue (with the only exception of the Cirque de la Solitude where queues may happen from time to time).

So I don't think he should be put off by this eventuality.

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jul 3, 2014, 10:49

Anna

The really busy time is during the French holiday period in August. If he's got his own tent, I'm sure he'll be fine. I noticed a lot more guided groups last year so mapped out as many as I could find, which might help him decide where to stay. See http://www.docstoc.com/docs/162689267

--

Alan