Cooking facilities at the hostels.

dermot.hughes650

Posted: Wed, Jul 16, 2014, 21:47

Hi,
I am intending in doing the GR20 during the first two weeks in August this year. I am thinking of taking food for breakfast which I intend to cook myself - probably porridge. However, I am wondering what time the cooking facilities open at the hostels. I will be camping. I intend to leave camp early each day, probably in the region of 5 to 5:30am, and would like to cook my breakfast before that. Are the hostel kitchens open that early? Do you advise taking a stove etc? I was hoping not to, in order to reduce weight.
With regard to evening meals in the hostels, are these always available, or should I plan on bringing some food for the evening meals as well?
Thanks for any information.
Dermot.

--

Dermot

Tarjei

Posted: Thu, Jul 17, 2014, 7:51

The cooking facilities at the refuges are usually outside, some are inside, but they are all available at all times.

Bringing your own stove will make it more flexible for you, but it's not necessary. And since you plan to start that early (could I ask why?) you also should not have to stay in queue to use them. In the afternoon and evening there could be more people waiting to use the cooking facilities. There are also reports that some find the cooking facilities a little bit dirty.

I didn't bring a stove, but based myself on eating at the refuges and places along the way (breakfast too). And only brought with me food for the walk between the places I stayed. But at times I missed having a stove, to be able too cook up some water for some hot drink.

For the evening meals at the refuges you have to order it and most likely before 18:00am, so a good rule is to order it at the same time you pay for pitching your tent (I assume you are bringing a tent) upon arriving.

Tarjei

Turnertactics

Posted: Thu, Jul 17, 2014, 8:22

Dermot

Sunrise times in mid August are about 6:30am & dawn about half an hour before that. I'm sure that would be an early enough start.

There are some places where a stove is useful such as the campsite at Vizzavona and independent bergeries like L'Onda.

We took a single Coleman screw top canister (available in the SPAR shop in Calenzana) and mini burner, which was enough for 12 days tea making for three of us as we used refuge stoves whenever they were available.

Alan

NB You'll need your own pan for the outside stoves.

--

Alan

Gnome

Posted: Thu, Jul 17, 2014, 16:23

Dermot,
I was there last September, and like you bought all my Dinner's. There was one Refuge (Pietra Piana) that didn't serve Dinner that day, due to high winds which didn't allow the supply helicopter to land. In that particular case we bought a few supplies from the Refuge, and cooked them ourselves.
You should always have a few emergency provisions, but you can rely on the face that the Dinner will be available almost every night.
Best,

--

-Noam

dermot.hughes650

Posted: Thu, Jul 17, 2014, 21:11

Tarjel,
Thank you for your reply. The reason for our start was to try to reduce the effects of the heat of the day - to walk as much as possible in the cool of the early morning.

Alan,
Thanks a million of your reply. Based on what you say, we may delay our start until about 6am - so breakfast before that. Your suggestion about the stove is very helpful indeed.

Noam
Thanks so much for getting back to me. We will take your advise and have some emergency provisions.

Dermot.

--

Dermot

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Jul 18, 2014, 6:52

Dermot

The last week in August & first week in September last year was pretty cold. We could have used some heat! The end of August 2010 was scorching hot but still bearable. Mountains can be unpredictable....

--

Alan

Spezza

Posted: Sat, Jul 19, 2014, 17:33

Dermont, my wife and I will be doing the GR20 in the first two weeks of August as well. If all goes according to plan we'll start from Calenzana on 4 August. Maybe we'll see you on the trail.

ian

Posted: Sat, Aug 23, 2014, 9:58

Hello,

Just so I understand correctly, if you are taking meals at the refuges, you do not need to bring any supplies (fuel, stove, cookset, utensils, etc.), is that correct?

Also, do all refuges in the northern half serve breakfast, lunch and dinner?

We would consider bringing some instant oatmeal and other lightweight food to supplement the meals there if they are not filling enough.

Many thanks,
Ian

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 24, 2014, 14:27

Hello,
If, buying meals at the refuge, no need to bring any of what you list.
I cooked my own most of the time....had occasional meal....usually if a bergerie en route..not always possible... had some breakfasts there.
With your own stove with cook-pot and kettle your options are wider. Don't enjoy 'lightweight food'. I started my journeys with pasta, tinned fish, muesli and of course a pack of tea. Simple top up on food for cooking en-route....well apart from the E.G. tea!

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Aug 25, 2014, 9:46

Ian

You need to keep weight down as much as possible so anything you can leave out is good. There's a great thread on here detailing what food is available at each stop so you don't need to take much from the start. http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/15568

I only had breakfast at a couple of refuges as they aren't very substantial and took some trail food with me like cereal bars. I can't say I like them very much but they're lightweight and wholesome so they filled a need when I didn't have anything else.

I found a single pan was useful for using on the refuges own stoves, particularly for cups of tea. I also took a 30 gram screw on burner and a single screw top gas canister between three of us for times we didn't have refuge stoves e.g. camping at Haut Ascu & Vizzavona. A spork each were all the utensils we needed.

--

Alan

ian

Posted: Fri, Aug 29, 2014, 4:46

Thanks very much Gaffr and Alan. The link to the food resupply points is also quite helpful.

Best,
Ian