mare e monti nord september

adi

Posted: Thu, Jul 31, 2014, 19:18

Hello!
Considering hiking the mare e monti nord in late september, what weather should I be expecting?
As far as accommodations - are there place to put down a tent?

Cheers,
Adi

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 1, 2014, 4:51

Hello,
reply to both questions.
Have only been on both of these routes during June but we did do the Mare a Mare Centre route starting in early September....weather very pleasant, crossed the GR20 at Col de Laparo, and had a couple of days later of unsettled conditions with the thunder/lightning/heavy rain for a night and a day. After reaching the West coast we went to Col de Bavella and had three days on some of our favourite parts of the GR20....weather was fine.
On the Mare e Monti Nord we had camps at Calinzana, Bonifatu, bivouac at the Bocca di Lucca, camp at Galeria, at Girolata and camps on the terraces of Gites where we had meals inside at both Curzu and at Ota. Choice of camps at Evisa (a little outside the village) or at Marignana and a camp at the gite at E Case. I assume that, as we found on the MM Centre, that everything will be still open on the Mare e Monti Nord in late September?

--

Gaffr

adi

Posted: Fri, Aug 1, 2014, 7:11

Hi Gaffr,
Thanks for the quick response!
Do you know what kind of a weather forecast it is possible to get for the GR20 & Mare e Monti Nord?
Do you think it is available for a couple of days in advance or do the weather conditions change by the hour?

Cheers,
Adi

adi

Posted: Sat, Aug 16, 2014, 12:38

Hello Gaffr and everybody!
So we have decided to do the Mare e Monti Nord in the end of September.
Any tips/words of advice?

A question concerning the cash only style in Corse - Are there any ATMs in the villages along the trail?
Or do we need to carry all the money with us all the way?
Anybody can help us with the money estimation please: eating dinner and breakfast in a restaurant or gite? buying food for lunch? camping? about 3 nights sleeping in roofed accommodation? emergency money?
And again - any ATMs along the route?

Many thanks,
Adi

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 17, 2014, 10:58

Hello,
I'll do my best to offer advice. My French wife tells me that she did not see any ATM's along the trail....that was in 2009. When we finished the Mare a Mare Nord in 2008 (same finish for both routes from Evisa to the Sea!) we took a bus from the camping N of Cargese (Terraccio camping) but had to camp overnight in Porto and then a bus next day to reach Calvi. Marif did see an ATM in Porto which is not a huge distance from Ota which is on your route.
Payments made during the walk were with cash or by using the credit card.
Camping charges were a bit more than the 7 euros for camping on the GR20.
I think at the time we went...five years ago.... to Mare e Monti we estimated for around 40 euros each per day but of course when we camped and cooked our own it was not anywhere near this amount...and we had one night without any charges when we were under the stars.
Lunch for us was nothing special...usually cheese and bread.....also didn't always take breakfast at a refuge.

--

Gaffr

adi

Posted: Sun, Aug 17, 2014, 18:25

Hello Gaffr,
Thank you for the helpful reply!
Adi