Missing American Hiker on GR20 - NEED YOUR HELP

orlibeth

Posted: Sat, Aug 2, 2014, 15:49

We are searching for an American hiker who set out to hike the GR 20 alone on July 19th and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

If you were hiking the GR 20 around that time, if you are hiking there now, or if you plan to start soon, WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please do what you can to help us find him.

George Hecht was last seen at the first checkpoint at Calenzana on July 19 -- he was supposed to call at the start of his hike, but did not, and has not been heard from since. George is 70 years old, approximately 5’7” (1.7 meters) and 145 lbs (66 kilograms). He is 70 years old and in great physical health, with brown eyes and thinning brown hair.

More information is at our Facebook page here: http://bit.ly/georgehecht

If you are on the trail, you can help us by periodically using a special whistle that George's family always uses when someone is lost. If he hears it, he will know that his family is looking for him and help is on the way. You can listen to an audio recording of the whistle here: https://soundcloud.com/steve11217/george-hecht-help-whistlewav

THANK YOU for your help!!!

Mandie123

Posted: Mon, Aug 18, 2014, 18:09

Hi

Is there any news on George?

orlibeth

Posted: Mon, Aug 18, 2014, 18:13

Hi Mandie,
The search for George was concluded about 10 or so days ago. Unfortunately, no sign of him was ever found.
Orli

Mandie123

Posted: Mon, Aug 18, 2014, 18:29

Hi Orli

Oh no, that is very sad indeed, how are you coping with this?

It is also a concern to me as I will be hiking there next week. I will certainly keep an eye out for any news.

herbie

Posted: Tue, Aug 19, 2014, 17:52

I can not believe they stopped searching for our wonderful George. Not a single clue turned up? Did they use bloodhounds? I'm sure every option was used, I hope. George liked to take risks but it seems odd that he simply vanished without a clue.

orlibeth

Posted: Tue, Aug 19, 2014, 17:58

They did use all available options - the search was absolutely as exhaustive as it could be. The family has turned their efforts to remembering George. You can find more information and pay your tributes on the Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/MissingHikerGeorgeHecht

Thank you so much for your concern.

herbie

Posted: Tue, Aug 19, 2014, 23:29

Thank you for the reply. I saw the Facebook page. George and I go way back. I remember one of his favorite sayings was, "To take on these challenges". Now I really understand those words more than ever. He was not only teaching all of us how to "take on life's challenges", he was also talking about "his own challenges", with this trip to Corsca being one of them. Why on Earth he felt the need to walk the GR20 all by himself at almost 71 years of age may be tough for us to process but knowing George, I think I understand. However, this does not make it any better for all of us who love and miss him so very much. Sometimes, I feel like going there to search for him myself. I have been asking myself something again and again, Corsca is known for having some pretty rough people and I do not think it's the safest place in the world to be in. I just have a feeling that some news is going to come up in the future. It's not only the hope that I feel, it's just a strange feeling that this is not over. Bless you Doctor George Hecht. You are one of the most wonderful human beings that ever walked the Earth. I am lucky to have known you. Thank you my friend!

herbie

Posted: Mon, Jun 15, 2015, 21:39

I was just wondering.... It's been almost a year, does anyone know if any new information turned up on George going missing? Boy how we all miss him....Also, is it true that several other hikers also went missing around the same time?