First time Mare-Mare Nord

Halcyon

Posted: Tue, Sep 2, 2014, 19:05

Hi all. I’m planning to hike Mare-Mare Nord in late October. This will be my first time in Corsica. I’ll be flying into Ajaccio and then trekking west to east from Cargèse to Moriani. I expect to find refuges closed by then, so I plan to be self-sufficient. My questions are: (a) is there any place where I could buy a screw-top butane/propane canister between Ajaccio and Cargèse, and (b) what is the longest distance I should be prepared to travel without encountering any resupply points? Thanks in advance. Any additional advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Sep 3, 2014, 7:05

Hello,
I walked the route from Moriani to Cargese...then after took buses to reach Calvi and the ferry.
Most of the accommodation on the MM Nord is in Gites and some of them have camping places.
Camping at E Case, Marignana, above Evisa (open ?), at Col de Vergio, at the refuge A Sega, in Corte and 'off beat' camping from there to Moriani.
Food to cook?....Marignana, Evisa, Col de Vergio (probably not open in late October?) at Albertacce and Calacuccia and in Corte. I would start the journey with some food in the rucksack.
Gas in Ajaccio....I used the pierceable cans for my stove which I got from a garage in Moriani and in Corte and at Col de Vergio.
Bus from Ajaccio to Cargese?

--

Gaffr

Halcyon

Posted: Wed, Sep 3, 2014, 14:09

Gaffr, thanks for your reply. How much food would you say I’ll need to carry? In other words, how many days are there, at the most, between the towns and villages along the trail where I can resupply?

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Sep 3, 2014, 15:12

Hello,
Well for starters....beginning at Cargese first definite shop would be in the village of Evisa....two days from Cargese.
Probably not open at Col de Vergio where there is a campers shop. At Albertacce I recall getting some supplies from the village shop....near to the gite. If refuge Sega is open you could buy a meal there.
another day to Corte, biggish town, down the Tavignana where there are shops. I think that I would stock up with three days food to take you through to Moriani....camping probably won't be open there.

--

Gaffr