Help about trekking shoes?

Zino

Posted: Fri, Sep 5, 2014, 9:42

Hi,
I am going to do gr20 by 15 of september; could you please give me an opinion about these boots: Merrell radius mid waterproof? Do you think they appropriate for this trekking? Or should I buy a more comfortable (lighter) pair of trekking shoes?
Thanks for your answers and sorry for my terrible english! :)

--

Zino

Turnertactics

Posted: Fri, Sep 5, 2014, 16:08

Zino

They look good. A lot of people do the GR20 in trainers but I prefer boots with some ankle support as it is quite rocky and bouldery so there's a good chance of twisting or bashing your ankles. Being waterproof is good but the proofing won't last long on fabric boots - the distance of the GR20 maybe!

Merrell are a quality brand so they should last the distance. My preference would be a bit more rigid leather boots but maybe I'm old fashioned!

--

Alan

Michele

Posted: Fri, Sep 5, 2014, 18:20

I agree with Alan. In my opinion the right boots for the GR20 should have ankle support and and should not be excessively flexible to cope with the constant rough terrain. But they should also be very comfortable and already broken in (to prevent as much as possible those nasty blisters).
That said, I've also seen a lot of people get by with just trainers. So in the end this is a very personal choice.

--Michele

Zino

Posted: Fri, Sep 5, 2014, 20:33

Thanks Turnertactics and Michele. The fact is that they are new (my uncle gave me them as a present) and I still have to choose which shoes to bring to gr20. I tried them today (have done 1 hour of running) but had some problems (blisters came to start, they became too hot inside as they have almost no transpiration, they are heavy (560g)...). Maybe I should buy some trainers (which I am very used to as I run)? Could you give me please an advice about which shoes I could buy? (I am not very expert in the choice of shoes..)
Thank you

--

Zino

dinny

Posted: Fri, Sep 5, 2014, 22:36

Hi Zino,
I use Merrell Chameleons - they've no ankle support...if you're used to trainers then you probably have good ankle strength anyway.
I used them on the GR20 south (GR20 north I used a pair of shoes I hadn't worn in properly and got blisters - ouch!) also Sardinia's Selvaggio Blu, and pretty much everything else. I'll be wearing them on the Tra Mare e Monti Nord next month - whoop whoop, getting excited!!!
Happy hiking, and admiration to you for the excellent English :-)
Dinny

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Sep 6, 2014, 9:44

Zino

Your feet wouldn't get as hot hiking as they do running. If you do choose trainers, you'll need some with chunky soles to grip the rough rock, especially if it's wet. You need similar soles as Dinny's Merrell Chameleons or your boots.

I'd still go for the boots though but that's my personal preference.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Sep 6, 2014, 16:41

I wouldn't consider anything other than boots for this traverse. I came across some sad cases who were wearing trainers ripped to pieces owing to the terrain. Would a pair last for fifteen days of rough walking? Maybe pack a couple of extra pairs of trainers for this trip. Are you carrying the full camping kit etc.?

--

Gaffr

dinny

Posted: Sat, Sep 6, 2014, 17:59

Hi again,
I'd encourage you to listen to Alan 'Turnertactics' advice on this - well, the first part anyway ;-) Go for a Vibram sole, or something with equal grip and longevity.
But whatever you wear, make sure it's completely comfortable before you begin!
Dinny

Zino

Posted: Sun, Sep 7, 2014, 10:39

Thank you all...I will follow your advice and will bring the boots, so I'll be safe with my ankles (as when one becomes tired it's easy getting distracted and rick). And I will also bring trainers (maybe chamaleons!) with good grip to use them when the terrain becomes easier. Gaffr: yes, I am going to bring the camp kit (so the pack will become heavy)

--

Zino

Turnertactics

Posted: Sun, Sep 7, 2014, 11:25

Zino

There are a few kit lists dotted about the forum and lists of what food is available at each stop. You need to keep your weight down to about 13kg without water if you can.

--

Alan

Zino

Posted: Mon, Sep 8, 2014, 10:10

Turnertactics
I will really try to keep the pack as light as possible, and will buy all the food in the refuges (whenever possible) even if it is more expensive than bringing my own. I am still reading and searching the appropriate topics (I started informing and buying things a little bit late...)

--

Zino

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Sep 9, 2014, 17:17

Zino

Good luck.

I hope the weather is good for you. A friend of mine has just come back from doing the northern section and had fine weather for the whole trip.

--

Alan

Zino

Posted: Wed, Sep 10, 2014, 22:23

Thank you very much Turnertactics. Hope everything will go straight :)

--

Zino