GR20 north temperatures: sleeping bag temperature range for refugee & warm top/jacket

tahoces

Posted: Tue, Sep 9, 2014, 15:18

Hi all!

I am planning to do the GR20 north from Monday 15th to Sunday 21st of September.

My plan was to sleep at the refugees, so I was wondering how cold it gets INSIDE the refugees. Is a 15 degree sleeping bag enough? Should I go for a warmer sleeping bag?

It seems the temperature outside could get as cold as 0 degrees during the nigth but I havent seen any indication about how cold it gets within the refugees.

What about clothing? a warm top/jacket and a t shirt should be enough rigth? Would I need to take a winter jacket too?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Sep 9, 2014, 17:15

tahoces

Temperatures overnight inside should be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than outside but the temperature does depend on the weather conditions at the time. I was cold at the Refuge de Manganu at the end of August last year when wearing everything I had (2 base layers, thin fleece jumper and waterproof shell). My advice would be to take a lightweight down gilet or pullover as they are light and extremely warm. I managed to pick up a Nevica jacket for £35 when I returned home.

You will need waterproofs but unlined.

As for the sleeping bag, mine was rated 5 degrees (comfort rating) and was perfect for camping. a 15 degree bag might be a bit too skimpy.

There may be blankets available in the refuges. Can anyone verify this?

--

Alan

tahoces

Posted: Wed, Sep 10, 2014, 5:42

Thank you very much for your answer Tunertactics!

I have read many threads in this forum, but unfortunately I havent found much related to adequete clothing / sleeping bag for mid September conditions.

Is really a lightweight down gilet worth it? I have neever used these kind of clothes but it seems they are widely used for trekking.

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Sep 10, 2014, 8:24

tahoces

The amount of warmth they provide is amazing compared to their weight.

They make a great emergency layer and can be worn inside your sleeping bag if necessary.

Something like this would be ideal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Hawke-Co-Sports-Down-Feather-Body-Warmer-...

Also I checked the forum for the availability of blankets. There aren't any. Your sleeping bag will have to do.

--

Alan