Travelers loudge/hostel at Bastia

Natan V

Posted: Sun, Sep 21, 2014, 5:39

Hello all

Thank you for all the important information you provide for those of us who are about to make the GR 20 for their first time.
We are 3 students who are going to make the GR20 at the end of the month.
We are looking for a place to stay at Bastia on Sept 28 which is a Saturday.
We will be arriving on the afternoon ferry.

Any recommendations? Or should be take a bus/taxi to Calvi and stay the night there?

We really need something basic but if there are some recommended places were we will be able to meet other hikes it will be great.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Sep 21, 2014, 8:51

I think if I were you I would get to Calvi, if it is possible on the day, and camp in Calvi...several camping sites or if possible get up to Calinzana and camp there at the municipal camping/gite prior to beginning the GR20.
Bastia if more difficult. Camping at Les Sable Rouge is a couple of kls. walking south of Bastia although it is handy for the train to Calvi...small halt nearby. We have used this site when returning for the ferry after a trip then walking into Bastia to the ferryport in the early morning.
The only hotel that we stayed in 'two stars' is the Posta Vecchia which can be seen as the ferry manoeuvres into the port.
The only relatively inexpensive accommodation you will find in Corsica is at the refuges or if carrying a tent....well that is how we found it to be. The gites, which are hostels to be found on the the other walking routes, are the next in pricing above what I have found on the island.

--

Gaffr

Natan V

Posted: Wed, Sep 24, 2014, 14:37

Gaffr

Thank you very much for you elaborate answer.
One more question on the subject, I saw some photos from the GR20 with people sleeping on the beach. I know that in some contries in EU you can sleep only on a camp ground, in Corsica, Bastia etc, can I camp on the beach? Just in case I am not able to find the camp ground etc

Natan

Natan V

Posted: Sun, Sep 28, 2014, 7:36

Dear Gaffr
I am going to use your recommendation for the camping ground in Bastia. From some reason I am not able to locate Les Sable on the map. Can you please give details on how to get there.

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 8:15

Natan

It's marked on Google Maps on the coast just south of Bastia.
place de l'arinella, 20600 Bastia, France, +33 4 95 33 36 08

It takes about 45 minutes to walk to it from the ferry terminal but there are a few good things to look at en-route like a submarine conning tower, the citadel and the marina so it could take longer.

You head diagonally accross the big square after getting out of the ferry terminal where the submarine tower is and walk up hill past the citadel and out along Rue Cesar Vezzani. There's a connecting footpath that takes you down to the coast road (N193) near where it emerges from the tunnel. Just follow this along the sea shore for a bit and turn onto a small road signposted to Plage de l'Arinella.

L'Arinella train stop is opposite the entrance to the campsite.

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 16:43

Hello,
I couldn't get back with a reply after Sunday morning of the 21st,...........my internet and phone connection was wrecked by a fire about 50 metres from my house on Sunday afternoon. The cable had to be cut and a new section plugged into the line to get us going again.
BT not exactly quick..... after seven days the job was done this morning via the gentleman on the phone in Bangalore! and the pleasant guy from Open reach. I guess they have you by the 'shorts' when you pay for the line rental for a year in advance.

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 20:21

Gaffr

Good to see you back on line again.

I think I picked Les Sable Rouge last year after a recommendation from you so managed to step in and answer the question!

--

Alan