Mare a Mare Nord or Centre mid to late October - Food & Accomodation

bigfeet

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 13:21

Hello,

I'm planning on the Mare a Mare Nord from mid October. I plan to fly into Nice and get the ferry to Bastia, getting the bus down the east to to begin the trek.

On my way out I intend to return to Nice on the ferry from Ajaccio.

I have a couple of queries and would be very grateful for any pointers.

Which trek?
Would anyone would recommend one over the other? I am happy to take a tent, stove etc if needs be and am really after the most beautiful / enjoyable trek.

What to take?
At this time of year would be wise to bring food and a tent in as shelters may be shut?

Accomodation
what is the best source of contact info for places to stay along the route?

Many thanks

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 16:14

Hello,
The Topo guide that we used for both walks was the French www.ffrandonnee.fr Must confess that I have never looked up the site....we purchased the Topo Guide in the Tourist office in Moriani... the starting place for the route. The book gives maps and details for all five of the routes other than the GR20 which has a separate guide. We travelled the Mare a Mare Nord in June 2008 and all the other routes over the years.
I enjoyed both Nord and the Centre (we camped just three occasions on this route). The Nord improves greatly after Corte where we camped in one of the sites. Also camped at Sega refuge and at col de Vergio and at Evisa ( a little above the Village ) and at E Case and a couple of kls. or so outside Cargese. Must say I always take the tent and stove but there are many gites along the way....don't know about them being open in October?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 16:23

Hello,
Looked up the site.
Corse. Entre mer et Montagne Topo Guide.
Go to 'shop drop down' another drop down with Corse and on page Two you will find the info.

--

Gaffr

bigfeet

Posted: Mon, Sep 29, 2014, 22:01

Thanks you Gaffr, much appreciated.

My French is not the greatest so I had a look for english guides. I came across http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Home/Product-Detail/Corsica-Walking_978185284... which seems well reviewed. Ive just ordered a copy.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Sep 30, 2014, 6:00

Hello,
Gillean Price's guides are well researched and written. I know this guide....what you will have to deal with is that the MM Nord route is written for the journey in the opposite direction...Cargese to Moriani..which shouldn't be be big problem reading it backwards. However since the Mare e Monti route shares the Evisa down to Cargese section it should read for the direction of your travel!
The other thing with the GP book is that she has not yet included the MM Centre or the Mare e Monti Sud routes in this volume although she did say that these would be included in a new edition?
The line drawn maps, as opposed to the IGN maps in the French Topo guide, will be adequate for the journey.
Good travelling!

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Sep 30, 2014, 6:03

Hello,
Gillean Price's guides are well researched and written. I know this guide....what you will have to deal with is that the MM Nord route is written for the journey in the opposite direction...Cargese to Moriani..which shouldn't be be big problem reading it backwards. However since the Mare e Monti route shares the Evisa down to Cargese section it should read for the direction of your travel!
The other thing with the GP book is that she has not yet included the MM Centre or the Mare e Monti Sud routes in this volume although she did say that these would be included in a new edition?
The line drawn maps, as opposed to the IGN maps in the French Topo guide, will be adequate for the journey.
Good travelling!

--

Gaffr