Mare e Mare Nord et Centre

patsy

Posted: Wed, Jan 21, 2015, 14:22

Wondered if anyone had walked the Mare e Mare Nord trail in early May. Walked the Centre trail in late May 2014, during the time that part of the GR20 was shut because of snow, and weather a bit cold on a few days. Would like to know what is open in early May and what the condition of the trail will be - forced to do it earlier this year because of dates of finishing in British universities!!!!

Mare e mare centre last year was great. We did it west to east so needed longer on the first day and the only problem was being badly bitten by bed bugs in hotel in Porticcio the night before we started. Walking was great and the guardiens of the gites displayed various levels of eccentricity but lots of home made liqueur. Food everywhere was excellent. Looking forward to the 'nord' track this year!
PS We're both 60+ (just) and it was well within our capabilities.

--

Patsy

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jan 26, 2015, 7:05

Hello.
It was eight years ago that we travelled MM Nord from Moriani through to Cargese. The first few stages to reach Corte were through very small rural hamlets. For us after doing the first three stages of the GR20 and with a visit to Monti Cintu this was a nice relaxation or antidote after out visit to the higher ground. After Corti up through the Tavignana to the high ground is very fine terrain. A couple of the hostels, before reaching Corte, were not open but we had our tent and camping kit so no real problem. Gites or bed and breakfasts? We travelled this trail starting from Moriani on the 14th, June.

--

Gaffr

patsy

Posted: Mon, Feb 9, 2015, 15:48

Thanks Gaffr - I am always impressed by your knowledge of Corsica - brilliant! To go to another thread, there was some discussion last September about I penti (luna piena), the first gite from the start. It seemed to be closed but have just noticed on the Corsica forum on the routard.com site that it was being renovated in 2014, after changing hands. It might be open this year. Have you any knowledge of this? We're intending to book all the gites anyway as we hope we won't have to carry our tent. Would you recommend we did? Last year on the Mare e Mare centre we bought a very cheap 2 man once we'd come off the mountains which saved a lot of money! But we'd like to travel light if we can! Are flying easyjet which keeps the weight down! We'd like to stop at luna piena as we'll be getting the bus from Bastia which doesn't run on Sundays (our arrival day) so will be faced with a 7 hour walk from the coast to the next gite, not starting until 9:30am cos of the bus! Really looking forward to it though!

Patsy

--

Patsy

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Feb 9, 2015, 18:27

Hello,
As I said it was eight years ago when we went the way of the MM Nord from Moriani.
I have my wee French topo guide in front of me. At I Penti, at that time, you had to phone a person who had a business in Moriani if you wanted to stay in the gite. Obviously, I guess, if you had booked a bed for the night there would have been someone to received you?
As it is only three hours or so from Moriani to I Penti and to reach Pied' Alesani was another four hours away so reachable in one day. At Pied' Alesani there was a choice of overnights. Beds/showers available in the lower deck of the farmer's garage or in the Gite de France with a nearby restaurant.
Pianellu gite was also not open....tent or bed and Breakfast...didn't appear to be a shop in the village.
No problems with camping or with other accommodation in Corte and from there to the finish.
We also enjoyed the MM Centre with the very Corsican named villages en route.
The Sunday problem with the Manchester-Poretta Easy Jet arrivals!! In 2013 I walked out to the road from the airport and managed to hitch a ride down to Moriani where I camped for the night before taking the Monday bus down to Sainte Lucie-de-Porto-Vecchio.

--

Gaffr