Dates refuges are staffed 2015?

mscheminske

Posted: Sun, Apr 5, 2015, 1:36

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and I apologize if this question has been answered previously (I'm sure it has, but I haven't been able to find it in 2015).

I'm trying to determine what dates the refuges start and stop being staffed this summer. Does it depend on weather, or is it the same every year? I checked out the parc-corse website, but I speak very little French so it's difficult to find the information I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!

Michele

Posted: Sun, Apr 5, 2015, 7:32

Hi mscheminske,

Yes this question has been answered many times. The huts are staffed officially from June to the end of September. But in many cases and if the weather is good enough they start to become active sometime around May 20 (dates are not set).

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 5, 2015, 7:45

I can only speak of my own experiences on the GR20. The earliest that I started a walk was on the 2nd of June when all was open all the way through.
I can recall that a couple of years ago a young person started out from Vizzavona very early in May and spent the night at Capanelle and then had problems with the weather/ health and returned to Vizzavona.
Another recall was that in 2008, around the 7th of June, when in Calinzana for the start we met a young person who had come from the South so I guess that he must have started form Conca in the middle of May.
We always carry a tent and camping kit so we can cope with refuges not open/full etc.
Another thought is that probably the refuges situated at the end or beside roads will be open for business before the remoter ones?...Calinzana, Haut Ascu, maybe Vallone, Vergio, Vizzavona, Capanelle, bocca di Verde, Bavella and Conca would open sooner? Nowadays, with optional 16th, stage, could be that Basseta/Matalza or Crocu would open earlier?
If you look around the Forum there are reports of folks getting services on the GR20 into the month of October.

--

Gaffr

Lawrence of Spain

Posted: Thu, Apr 16, 2015, 9:04

Gaffr, any references about the optional 16th stage? First time I hear of this.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Apr 16, 2015, 12:48

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Apr 16, 2015, 13:09

Yes I can give to you what I have experienced. The regular 15th stage Usciolu to Asinau is long and with ascent of Monte Alcudina towards the end of a long day and especially if the sun is strong the option to split the stage into two was appreciated by some walkers.
When I first came from the North in 2007 I didn't know much about this option...at that time bergerie de Basseta was on offer for an overnight. In fact I met two folks at Bocca di L'agnonu who had decided to head to the bergeries...it was a very hot day and I guess we were all feeling problems of heat when carrying a heavy rucksack. We continued towards Alcudina but there were times when we thought that maybe the folks going to the bergeries had a good plan.
In 2013 when coming from the South there were several options for the split of the stage when additionally both Bergeries Crocu and also the refuge Matalza had been given an upgrade. I was travelling alone at the time, and in no real hurry since the snow was still dominant in the North, so after topping out on Alcudina I went back down to the col and descended to see what was on offer at Crocu. I found it a pleasant and friendly place to camp and I had a meal there. I would guess that now a couple of years later that the building works will have been completed. I did not check out the other two places since I wanted to also check out the connection between Crocu and the 'old' GR20 by turning right at the Bergeries Cavallara to rejoin the trail heading North to Usciolu near to the I Pedinieddi Bivouac site.
When we first went down for the GR20 we had the 2001 PD guide to the stages but I would guess that now the updated versions of the guide would have information regarding the possibilities to split the stage if required.

--

Gaffr