Hello

Steve Dan

Posted: Sun, Apr 26, 2015, 9:56

Hello everyone, just arrived on site.
On May 3rd I'm flying to Corsica where I'll be birding my way
along the Tra Mare e Monti, from Calenzana to Cargese
So, where DO you buy gaz in Calvi on a Sunday afternoon?
and Gaffr, which of the gites in Ota has camping pitches? can't
find any info on that one, either.
Steve.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Apr 26, 2015, 12:03

Hello,
Sunday is a difficult day for shops being open....supermarkets I have found to be closed.
However we did get some pierceable gas cans, which is needed for our 'blue gas' burner, ( the old French system)......we found these in a small general store shop a couple of streets up from the harbour in Calvi. We have obtained gas cans from a garage on a Sunday in Moriani, not much use to you in Calvi, but is is another possibility. We have had gas from the garage in Calvi but that was, I think, on a Tuesday.
In Ota (2009) they allowed us to camp on a rough sloping terrace at the rear of the building....we were taking a meal in the gite though. Chez Marie? was the gite name.
I hope things are still the same on the island but like all of the Mediterranean the Sunday is decidedly a day of rest.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Sun, Apr 26, 2015, 18:02

Thanks Gaffr, I did fear the worst on the gaz situation, and funny though this might sound, I was down the east coast at
at Prunette and Moriani last year. Could'nt find gas there either.
The Ota info in usefull though.
Thanks again,
Steve.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Apr 27, 2015, 6:10

Hello,
I should have used, in my earlier post, the description filling station rather than garage. This maybe reflects my age.:-)
We have camped at the Moriani camping three times or so on different occasions coming and going on our various trips. The last time was in June 2013 while waiting for the Monday morning bus to reach Conca. On each of these times we obtained gas canisters from the filling station, on the left, as you head out of the village heading Northwards.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, Apr 27, 2015, 20:30

Gaffr,
I got your drift on ' garage, I' m no spring chicken myself.
On the east coast I was down at Prunette, pitched at Camping Calamar (really nice site) for a few days birding and daywalk circuits.I passed through Moriani a couple of times and went in search of gaz. Northern garage you describe, closed for refurb, supermarket, no gaz, garage beyond supermarket heading south, no gaz. It was toward the end of my time there, so not such a major problem, moving on to Corte, picked some up there.
Just a few days till the annual gaz and public transport joust begins again. It's all part of the sport!
Steve