Treking Paths

Radica

Posted: Wed, May 20, 2015, 16:29

Hello

Two of us are coming for the first time to Corsica, staying in camping close to Porto Vecchio. Could you please recommend any beautiful hiking trails that are not too difficult, for half a day or whole day, anything about maximum 2 hours drive from Porte Vecchio or Bonifacio?

Could you also help me to locate this http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48521262 ? Or direct me to any similar place, any river or lake close to Porte Vecchio where one could go for a hike?

Thank you!

Best regards, Radica

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 22, 2015, 8:17

Radica,

that in the picture is a place along the Travu River. From Porto Vecchio drive up north on the N198 until the Travu village (and the related river). Take the D645 that runs along the river and drive for a few miles.
The place is located before you reach Chisa. Never been there, but I'm sure you'll find indications pointing to the river banks and its pools.
If you have a GPS you might have noticed on the Panoramio page the coordinates of the spot.

Near Porto Vecchio there are some walks but it's not that simple to describe them here. I suggest you should buy the excellent Rother Walking Guide "Corsica - The finest coastal and mountain walks" (some 14 euros if I remember). It's a very good book with all the inputs you need (plus GPS tracks to download).

PS. Also be aware of a parasitic infection found in 3 rivers (Tarcu, Cavu and Osu) near Porto Vecchio. Here is the article:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/9/14-0928_article

--Michele

Steve Dan

Posted: Sun, May 24, 2015, 13:36

Hello Radica
The Ospedale/ Alta Rocca region in the hills above Porto Vecchio has some lovely daywalks. I can certainly recommend the Zonza-Quenza-Zonza circuit, a wonderfull forest walk. There are many others as well and I suggest you try searching around www. alta rocca.com for more info. I picked up leaflets at the tourist offices in P. Vecchio and Zonza a few years back, and armed with a bundle of maps, this should be enough to keep you entertained for a week or two.
Which campsite are you using at P.V?
Hope you have a great trip, and when you get back, post something on the forum
Steve.

Radica

Posted: Sun, May 24, 2015, 18:43

Hello Michele

Thank you very much for your answer. Very helpful!

I got Rother Walking Guide, it really looks good.

Thank you also for the info on a parasitic infection. Do you know if it is only in the mentioned rivers, or maybe even somewhere else...?

Best regards,
Radica

Radica

Posted: Sun, May 24, 2015, 18:50

Hello Steve

Thank you very much for your answer.

I will surely check out the walk you suggest, and the leaflets from the tourist office seem like a great idea.

We are actually not sure about the camping site, as we have never been to Corsica. We have few in mind... Thinking of checking out U Pirellu and Rondinara. We would like something in the nature with a lot of space (don't like when tents are right next to each other), if possible with pine trees and close to the beach. Do you have any suggestion?

Will post when back :)

Best regards
Radica

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 24, 2015, 20:09

U Pirellu is fine for camping...a family place with pool, restaurant and within walking distance of the salt water...nearby fruit/veg shop. We stayed for a couple of days after the Jairven before getting the bus back up the East coast.
Zonza and Quenza are fine wee villages and Zonza has camping on both sides, a little out of the village ( municipal camping to the south) and also close access to col de Bavella where you will find interesting walks on both sides of the col. The Bavella towers walk is a very worthwhile walk in interesting terrain.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Sun, May 24, 2015, 20:38

Do you know if it is only in the mentioned rivers, or maybe even somewhere else...?

Sorry Radica. That's all the info I have about this issue. But, considering it's about 3 rivers some caution should be in order.

Radica

Posted: Wed, May 27, 2015, 14:35

Yes, that's what I thought...

Thank you!

Radica

Posted: Wed, May 27, 2015, 14:37

Thank you!

We do plan to visit Zonza area, will check for Bavella.

Radica