Pitching a tent on the GR20

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 11:44

Greetings,

I am bringing my own tent to pitch this June on the GR20. To those who have done this in the past I was wondering... what is your tips on pitching a tent. For example, would I need heavy duty tent pegs, extra guy rope... as I see many have used rocks to keep their tents secure in at many refuges. Any advice would be valued. Thank You.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 12:17

Hello,
Definitely take some para-cord, or similar, with you to extend the rubber guys along with a mix of pegs. I have found that just rolling around a suitable stone (not too rounded) rather doing any sort of fancy knot work then just leave them attached for the next pitching place.:-)
Some etapes even have grass to pitch on....e.g. l'Onda inside the corral.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 12:18

Rasbanjo,

the GR20 terrain is hard with very few exceptions. So yes, bring extra guy rope and - if your backpack weight allows - heavy duty tent pegs.

--Michele

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 12:31

Thanks Gaffr and Michele.

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 19:23

Putting a piece of wood through the guy rope and weighing it down with rocks is often sufficient (at places like Vizzavona)
unless you're unlucky to experience a storm. Extra cord would be a sensible addition.

--

Alan

desperatedan

Posted: Mon, May 25, 2015, 20:58

Hi pegs are more or less redundant as the grounds generally so hard and stony. Take a tent with as small a footprint as possible as sites are generally few and far between at refuges. Some people race to them to get the good sites. I'd rather take my time enjoy the walk, arrive later. Do bring para cord as I end up tying my tent up to stones or branches or jamming boulders around the peg. Some wild exposed sites I have stayed at involved more or less building a wall holding down the lower apron of the tent