Wild camping

motionlust

Posted: Mon, Jun 8, 2015, 15:48

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times on here, i was just after any up to date viewpoints.
I am doing the Gr20 South-North in September and will be wild camping as much as possible along the route. I intend to head off the path slightly each night and make sure any spot is well away from bergeries and refuges. My tent is Small and green (Terra Nova laser competition 1) but i am contemplating buying a bivi bag to minimise my visibility. I am very well aware that wild camping is prohibited, does anyone have knowledge of the normal action that is taken if discovered (just so i am aware of the risk).
I am a very respectful, experienced wild camper and just cannot think of experiencing a long walk without that freedom. I have wild camped on Corsica's beaches before and never experienced a problem. Was i just lucky? I hope common sense is generally applied and if i keep out of sight and am respectful it should be achievable. Any thoughts welcome...

--

Shadow provides space.
Make my bed to rest my head,
then leave with no trace.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 9, 2015, 6:34

You are correct in saying that camping away from the refuges is not allowed in the PNRC....huge fire risk on the island, pollution etc.
The big problem of being away from the refuges is water which is always available in reasonable condition at the refuge tap. Taking water in streams, might not be much around in September?, could be not so good since there are many animals around.
Also in September the big numbers of early summer walkers should have thinned out. You may just get camping at a refuge on your own.
I have spent a couple of night's under the stars, sleeping mat and bag, no tent erected but that was on the Mare e Monti route.
I have seen tents in the area of Cuscione but there it is green and wet with a decent stream flowing...but that was in June.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 9, 2015, 7:12

Motionlust,

Although wild camping is prohibited I too consider it an ultimate form of freedom (I know I know should everybody do that it would be a mess etc etc). If you search for your spot some 200 mt away from the main trail and you don't make yourself noticeable you should get away with it. Just try and be smart and not pick a "logical" spot a wildcamper would pick. Also beware of helicopters.

--Michele

motionlust

Posted: Tue, Jun 9, 2015, 7:18

Thanks Gaffr,

I understand the water issue, i'm quite prepared to carry a bit extra water to see me through the night (my base pack weight is only 6.5kg). The plan was to hit the refuges between 10 and 11, fill up with water and snacks and then keep walking. I have no problem using the camping areas at the refuges when it is the most convenient place to stay, but the freedom of being able to camp mid stage is part of the joy for me. Also, as a safety issue, with a terrain such as the GR20 it is always nice to have the option to make camp if the weather turns bad. I'm not willing to risk my life on slippery rocks just for fear of breaking the law. I have no intention of starting a fire for any purpose and don't drop litter in the city, so am not about to start in the mountains. I know the law is the law, and i am all for keeping beautiful places beautiful, i just feel it is designed to keep away undesirables rather than a solo traveller you just wants to rest his head at his convenience.
Just as a separate point, are there any points of the walk that are considerably easier/difficult due to walking the route in reverse?

--

Shadow provides space.

motionlust

Posted: Tue, Jun 9, 2015, 7:29

Thanks Michele,

I guess that would just be the helicopters that stock the refuges? If i don't put my tent up till it's dark and then take it down early i guess i should be ok on that score. If i don't actually need to use the tent i will just sleep out under the stars anyway. I'm going to try anyway because i really don't know any other way to hike...it's all i've ever done!

--

Shadow provides space.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 9, 2015, 15:28

Walking the route in Reverse.

I have been both ways. I can't honestly say that it was more or less difficult either way.
In its simplicity. You spend each day usually, well apart from the start at either end, going up gaining height sometimes more than once, then at the end of each stage it is descending, usually, to the overnight camping place. Maybe at the Bavella towers higher route it is easier from the col when coming from the South. Maybe descending from Bocca di Foggiale towards Vallone is easier than the other way round.
Oh!....My bete noir Monte Alcudina easier when coming from the South on a hot day.
You are coming from the South. :-)

--

Gaffr

justanotherfinn

Posted: Tue, Jun 16, 2015, 6:15

There is one place where camping in the nature is allowed along the GR20.

There used to be the Refuge d'I Pedinieddi between Asinao and Usciolu. It was destroyed, but the right to camp there has not been abolished. This is mentioned in various sources, including P.Dillon's book about GR20.
http://tinyurl.com/q8j75vu

When I was there, no one was staying the night in this great place!

Mart

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 11:58

Hi Motionlust,
So did you succeed in wild camping? Can you tell me about your experience?

--

Mart

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 16:34

I camped at Pedinieddi a long time ago. There were just a few tents, no guardian, a good water spring, lots of rocks from the ruined refuge, a huge waste bin with rubbish blowing everywhere, and a fox running round making a nuisance of itself. Things might be different now.

I once found myself at the Bergeries de Grotelle just as it was getting dark and just as the cafe/bar was closing. I asked the cafe/bar owner if there was anywhere to camp, and he just waved his hand at all the mountains and said I could camp wherever I wanted. I took that as 'permission' so it didn't count as wild camping.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 16:54

I took that as 'permission' so it didn't count as wild camping

LOL @GRRR 20

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 17:44

Hello,
I passed by at Grotelle early in the morning ....it was in early June 2013...several tents pitched in the surrounds..all of the tent dwellers were asleep. I did check out the bergeries to see if I could get a bit of breakfast there. The building was closed and no-one was around at the time. Later in the season maybe a good wee stopping place?
Also it is very close to the turn for the Mare a Mare Nord and 'the route of the shepherds' so it probably does quite well for business in the season.
Another question for those travelling that way on the GR20 this summer. Has the bridge across the river been fixed after the damage during the winter?

--

Gaffr

motionlust

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 17:53

Mart,
Yes, very much so. It was the most exquisite two weeks....10 days in the mountains and 3 days crossing the desert Agriates at night, sleeping on wild beaches.
Email me if you want some detail. thisismotionlust@gmail.com

--

Shadow provides space.

Mart

Posted: Wed, Jul 19, 2017, 10:31

Thank you all for your comments. Honestly speaking I'm interested in possibility and experience of pitching tents out of refuges territory in real wild place. As example, if you start from Calenzana in the afternoon and don't have enough time to reach refuge d'Ortu till darkness - is it possible to find a spot for pare of tents out of route, 100-200-300... metres away? And what negative occurrence may it lead to?

--

Mart

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 19, 2017, 18:46

Calinzana to Piobbu is probably the worst stage for wild camping. It's too steep and apart from a couple of short level stretches which are on the trail, it would be almost impossible to find anywhere suitable.

Mart

Posted: Thu, Jul 20, 2017, 7:13

Really so bad on this leg ? Wouldn't like to believe.
And what about all other route?
Did anybody had any troubles when pitched a tent out of official campgrounds?
I always follow the principal "leave campsite in the same condition, as it was when I first entered" but how can I explain it to officials..

--

Mart

motionlust

Posted: Thu, Jul 20, 2017, 8:42

Mart,
I wild camped on that stage......like I said email me if you want details of my trip
thisismotionlust@gmail.com

--

Shadow provides space.

motionlust

Posted: Thu, Jul 20, 2017, 8:45

Ahh, you did! Oops

--

Shadow provides space.

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Fri, Aug 11, 2017, 9:51

Hi motionlust, I'm considering hiking/wild camping the GR20 next year having just wild camped 15 stages of the GR11 in the Spanish Pyrenees. I hope you don't mind if I also email you for some details of your trip.

A few years ago I wild camped on the Desert d'Agriates which was stunning!

Cheers,
Andy