Stage 4 alternative route being prepared?

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 14, 2015, 8:11

Since the route on stage 4 through the Cirque will be closed for a bit a route is being marked up and secured using the Monte Cintu route from Ascu.
From what I recall from my visit to Cintu the alternative route will reach within 100 metres of the Cintu summit and then turn right to get down to Tighjettu refuge via the Crucetta crete?
When we were at Tighjettu in 2007 we meet a couple of Belgian folks who had camped at the refuge and reached Cintu (up and down via this way)....but without the heavy rucksacks.
Do folks on the Forum read this development as I have done?

--

Gaffr

Harley1965

Posted: Sun, Jun 14, 2015, 15:27

Hi Gaffr

I am planning my route and was wondering where you can find out about the alternative route. last I heard it was a taxi or hitch from Ascu.

--

Neil

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 14, 2015, 15:49

Hello,
I have been to Cintu from Ascu (up and down the same way). This route is marked in red on the IGN 3615 Map? 1:25,000....but of course instead of turning left for Cintu at the top of what was a snowfield when I did it you will have to turn right and head down to the refuge Tighjettu.
From looking at the Randoblog on Parc naturel regional de Corse (PNRC) this morning it seems as if this was being planned as an alternate route to reach Tighjettu refuge. But of course nothing official as yet. The route would need to marked up etc. (yellow paint?)
As I said in the previous post that the Belgians I met had been up and down from Tighjettu.
Best to keep looking at the Randoblog for official statements on this.
As in 2013, when in early June snow and ice were present in the Cirque, the minibus will run from Ascu at 0900hrs and at 1430hrs. to Calasima for folks to reach either Vallone or more awkward slightly more uphill to reach Tighjettu.
The Cirque may well open later in the season? so it may be the early folks who will be affected by the aftermath of the terrible events of last Wednesday?
Randoblog is the best for info. on all this.

--

Gaffr

Tarjei

Posted: Mon, Jun 15, 2015, 8:54

There is also supposedly a shuttle service in place to connect Haut Asco with Calasima.

Tarjei

Lawrence of Spain

Posted: Mon, Jun 15, 2015, 10:01

Hi Gaffr,

I was looking for maps on how to reach Monte Cinto, like provided by Michele for GR20, but had not much luck. Any hints where to find them? Or would the suggestion be to go to www.walkingclub.org.uk > Euro maps > IGN France, and then get details from there?

Anyway, both alternatives - Monte Cinto and Cirque de la Solitude - are really exciting, but having done the latter (during nasty fog and wind and low clouds...), now it would be more interesting to do Monte Cinto route.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 15, 2015, 12:38

I was given a set of IGN maps for the GR20 a few years ago....the edition of 1996. They have given to me all that have needed for the route and I had 3615 IGN with when I went to Cintu at the end of May 2008. The route was marked on the Map. However I would guess that those of the Walkingclub.org.uk will be more up to date?

Tarjei...I would be certain that the shuttle will be in use at the moment. This service ran for a few weeks in 2013 when the cirque was closed owing to snow/ice which resulted in a few accidents.
I guess this service can be brought into operation almost immediately.

--

Gaffr

obrobinson

Posted: Mon, Jun 15, 2015, 12:44

Hi Lawrence of Spain,

If you don't live in the UK as your 'handle' seems to imply then the website peakbagger.com provides detailed maps at 1:25,000 scale, i.e., IGN maps. Simply type in Monte Cinto into the search window and an expandable map appears. Use the camera on your smartphone to save it as an email attachment to yourself and print out on your PC. If you live in the UK themapshop.co.uk sells all the four relevant maps for the GR20.

Oliver

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 16, 2015, 10:03

I'm posting a link to a map of the variant plus gps file in a separate thread.

Tarjei

Posted: Tue, Jun 16, 2015, 14:22

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jun 16, 2015, 14:32

Thanks Tarjei. A nice recap by Paddy Dillon.

Lawrence of Spain

Posted: Tue, Jun 16, 2015, 15:30

Paddy goes a bit ahead of time saying it is already marked, as on PNRC blog, from what I understand, it says route could not be marked yet due to bad weather and wet rock, but maybe will be marked this weekend.
Anyway, secondary route definitely looks very much exciting.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jun 17, 2015, 6:53

Hello,
To me it appears very responsible of Cicerone to publish this statement on the current status of Stage four of the GR20. I guess that folks here rely upon the Cicerone guide for direction etc.

After all there has not been much, if any, of a reporting here in the National press. I have no idea how many folks go out to Corse from UK but I would assume nowadays growing numbers.

--

Gaffr

rachelb

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 8:11

Hi all
Thank you for the useful posts.

My partner and I are due to set off from Calenzana on Sunday (21st June) hiking north > south. The news on this terrible incident has only just reached us in the UK (was not on main news networks/papers and not a lot of info out there in English). Can anyone confirm whether all of the refuges are open? (We have bookings).

From reading these forums it looks like we have 2 options (1) take the shuttle bus or (2) a longer and more arduous route on Monte Cintu. Does anyone have any knowledge of the technicality of this diversion? I see the Randoblog says "The route will be secured on some parts but is still very demanding with technical descents on both sides." (English translation) We are experienced climbers and mountaineers but were not planning on carrying any ropes etc with us and wondering how technical this diversion would be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
R

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 8:53

Yes, Rachel the refuges are all open.
The alternative route is more demanding because in many sections you need to negotiate your way through boulders and such. No rope is needed. Some parts are being secured with chains. If you guys are experienced climbers and mountaineers have nothing to worry.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 9:13

Hello,
I am from UK too...well that bit well above North of Hadrians wall.:-)
Yes, as I have said on the Forum, I have not come across anything related to this happening on the GR20 stage 4.
The refuges and bergeries are open....see a report back from a lady who went through the Cirque and couple of hours ahead of the big deluge that hit the area.
You won't need a rope. I have been a few times to the route both from the South an from the North and never felt the need for a rope.
The route is still in preparation via the Cintu route and down to Tighjettu. You will probably reach Haut Ascu on the 24 or 25th of June? so I would be almost sure that it will be ready by then. Marked up and with some protection where needed etc.
I have been up onto Cintu from Ascu and back but have not descended to Tighjettu from the col.
As I said earlier than while camping there (at Tighjettu ) I spoke to two Belgian folks who had made a day trip to Cintu up and down from the refuge...of course with light packs they had left their full kit in the tent. So I would not think that it would too difficult they seemed like normal middle aged blokes. If you are used to climbing you should be fine and you will have done some scrambling during the three days to reach Ascu.
There is always the option of the navette if weather is poor or whatever. Is your booking for Tighjettu or for Vallone or maybe Ciottulu di I Mori? If coming up from Calasima from the navette it will be a slight uphill backtrack to get to Tighjettu.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 9:08

Sorry Michele....I am a slow typer...must have been doing this when you were on line!

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 9:12

No problem, Roger. The more replies, the better.

richc1981

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 9:46

Thanks to everyone posting for the very useful information. We are expecting to arrive at Ascu on 24th June so hopefully the diversion will be open. Our original plan was to walk from Ascu to Ciottulu di I Mori and have reservations sorted.

Looking at the proposed diversion, I was wondering if it is possible to traverse the ridge up to Monte Cinto and take in the peak. I looked on summitpost which suggested the peak can be reached by the ridge to the south west - just wondering if anyone has done this before and how technical it is? We are pretty fit and happy with some scrambling, but will have 10kg packs with us...

From what I can tell the diversion is an extra 250 m of climb over the original route - makes the double stage to Ciottulu a tougher proposition, but was still thinking this is viable?

Obviously the above will be weather permitting, and the navette may still be an (undesirable) option...

Any response much appreciated,

Richard

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 10:05

Hi Richard,

Yes you may park your backpacks on the ridge and walk/scramble/whatever your way to the summit. In fact I bet this is what most people will choose to do. You will have to make your way thought boulders and such.
The descent from Crucetta is still demanding so it's really up to your fitness level to decide whether to stop at Tighjettu or keep going further.

--Michele

richc1981

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 10:39

Hi Michele

Thanks for the quick response. Yes we will probably leave our packs on the ridge and walk up I reckon. We will have to see how the legs feel at Tighjettu!

Thanks again

Richard

rachelb

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 12:21

Thank you for the helpful information. We are staying at Ascu on the 23rd and Tighjettu on the 24th. We have also been wondering if a quick trek up to Cintu summit is possible and I guess we'll see if we have the energy on the day!

I was just worried that the sections they are securing with chains wouldn't be ready by mid-next week and so whether to take a rope but from what you have both said, we should be ok. Hopefully the guardians will be well informed once we get on the trail.

Thanks everyone for the help and if you come across any more useful info, please share!

Richard - we may see you on the trail at some point!

R

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 18, 2015, 12:23

I see that, not being campers, you have very reasonable pack weights. It would be quite tiring with a big pack going from the col to the summit of Cinto. Many large, but mostly stable, blocks near to the top and I was certainly glad that I did not have a big pack to hinder progress!
Yes it would be a big day to reach Ciottollu di I Mori on the same day. There is a stiff pull up from Vallone which is another possibility for an overnight but it is usually very busy there perhaps on account of the food on offer.

--

Gaffr