Gites - sleeping facilities

emily43

Posted: Mon, Jun 29, 2015, 18:43

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer after prolonged googling...

I'm walking the Mare e Monti in September and staying partly in gites d'etape and partly in chambres d'hote. Do the former provide any bedsheets or do hikers have to bring their own sleeping bags/sleeping sheets?

I know the refuges of the GR20 provide nothing in this regard, but I wasn't sure if the situation was different for the gites on the other routes.

Any thoughts/experiences very gratefully received.

Thanks

Emily

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 30, 2015, 5:31

Hello,
The journeys that we made on the 'other than GR20' routes on the island were a mixture of camping and staying in some of the gites.
On the Mare e Monti N. we stayed in the Cormoran in Girolata where there were duvets and in the rather rougher place at Marignana where we used our sleeping bags on the 'army type' beds. At the other overnights we used our tent on the terrace.
We did also have our inner 'silk' bags with us for use if needed.
This journey we made in 2009.
I have the French Topo guide for all of the routes and it does have listed the accommodations on offer for the routes with the contact phone numbers listed but I guess that by now maybe each will have a web site?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 30, 2015, 6:21

Hello,
A little more on the Gites.
As I thought the gite accommodation on the routes has caught up with the today!
I had a quite look at a few Girolata, Curzu, Serriera, Ota and Marignana.
I think that you will find all you need on the websites.
Apologies to Marignana I think that they have caught up with the rest? Maybe the room that we stayed in was the most basic?

--

Gaffr

emily43

Posted: Tue, Jun 30, 2015, 18:55

Thanks for this, Gaffr.

You're right that several of them have websites with reassuring pictures of pre-made beds...though there are still several without websites and I wonder if they are more likely to only provide the bare minimum - Tuarelli and E Case. I should have been more specific rather than asking about gites in general!

If you or anyone else happens to know if these provide or hire bedsheets we would be very grateful - trying to keep packs light so it would be good to avoid carrying a bag if possible.

If no-one knows I will deploy Skype and my schoolgirl French :-)

Thanks

Emily

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jun 30, 2015, 19:18

Hello,
Tuarelli looked like a decent sort of place. We just had breakfast there after a bivvy at the bocca di Lucca. I had read somewhere, remember it was six years or so when we were there, that the place was run now by different folks. I wonder if now that it has a different name?
At E Case we camped on the terrace there and had some breakfast. It is a small basic place but the gentleman who arrived from elsewhere on his 4x4 rough terrain bike thing was very friendly.
The French folks staying in the same room as ourselves in Marignana had summer-weight sleeping bags and probably had to use then at E Case. I didn't have a look around the inside of the building and ate outside on the shaded table. Maybe you could get away with a silk inner lining bag.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 1, 2015, 5:55

Hello,
At my age my thoughts are a bit slow to gather.
On the second time in the area Evisa...the MM Nord and the Mare e Monti N both come through Evisa before dropping down to Cargese.
On this occasion we chose to use the camping site close to the village. A nice wee friendly, family place to stay. We anticipated a period of rain and low cloud so it was a useful place to be for a couple of days.
For yourself Evisa has a choice of places to stay and is just an hour and a half from Marignana.

--

Gaffr

emily43

Posted: Thu, Jul 2, 2015, 6:21

Thanks Gaffr - that's useful to know. Really appreciate all your help!

Emily

emily43

Posted: Thu, Jul 2, 2015, 6:21

Thanks Gaffr - that's useful to know. Really appreciate all your help!

Emily