Best guide for walking options in Corsica

jgh

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 11:40

Hi,
I am planning to go 2 weeks in September to Corsica mostly for hiking and I will like to know if someone can recommend or give their opinion on the different guides in the market that describe the different walking/hiking routes (long and short and not only the GR20).
So far I saw the Rother one, "Walking in Corsica" (Cicerone)...
Thanks in advance!
Javier

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 14:21

I have another Rother guide "Corsica - The finest coastal and mountain walks" by Klaus Wolfsperger published by Rother - Munich. (It's in English). Pretty good one.
Or is it the same as you have?

--Michele

jgh

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 16:27

Thanks for your reply Michele.
Actually I don't have any yet and I want to buy one. I saw that there are too many different ones so that´s why I am asking and any tip is welcome :)

Javier

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 16:35

Can't speak for the other books. This one that I have is pretty good. It describes 75 trails across the island and you also have the gps files to help you along. I bought it from Amazon.

--Michele

jgh

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 16:55

Thanks again Michele.
I am now checking some reviews and indeed people are quite positive though there are few comments like this one: "This book is perfect for those of us who aren't tackling the two week GR20 or other multiday hike...".
Do you agree with that? What is your experience?
In fact few of the walks I am interested on are the Mare a Mare and Mare e Monti in the North.

Javier

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 17:53

Javier, this book covers most of one-day walks, but is not meant for those interested in the GR20 or the other multi-day treks like the Mare a Mare etc. For those you will find specific books.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 6:47

Cicerone, Paddy Dillon, for the GR20 and Cicerone, Gillian Price, for some of the other multi day and day routes on the island.

FF Randonnee, in French, for the five, other than the GR20, routes on the island.
I'm sure that at WWW.ffrandonnee.fr that you can get the French version for the GR20 as you can from many publishers in other European languages.

--

Gaffr

dinny

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 13:22

Hi Javier,
I've relied on the Cicerone Guides - the GR20 book for that path, and the Gillian Price book that Gaffr mentioned for the Mare e Monti. However, two German guys I met up with on the Mare e Monti had the Rother Guide, which gave a different route for one section, taking a path to a beach rather than briefly outlining that as an alternative route which is what the Cicerone book did. The Rother route was by far preferable that hot day!
My suggestion: get hold of a couple of different guide books (should be able to find slightly older publication editions cheap online) then where advice differs, cut them up and re-edit as desired.
Happy hiking,
Dinny

jgh

Posted: Fri, Jul 10, 2015, 7:26

Thanks all for your helpfull tips.