Travel from Bastia (Airport) to Conca (South to North)

bluebreeze

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 17:12

Hi,

I am trying to find an answer to this question. I am walking the GR20 from South to North for the first time and I'm leaving in 2 days already. Never done the GR20 before. I am arriving at Bastia around 8PM and want to start the next morning with the big hike.

How do I get from Bastia Airport to Conca? Is Conca 'the place' to start if you walk South to North?

Thanks a lot!

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 18:16

I'm sorry bluebreeze, but if you arrive at Bastia airport at 8pm, from there to Conca is a long way and I doubt you will find some public transportation at that hour. If you "badly" want to make it, I guess you'll have to pay (handsomely) a taxi to get you there. And even so you'll probably reach the gite d'etape in Conca by 11.30 pm or even later.

--Michele

bluebreeze

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 18:30

Michele,

Thanks for your reply. Will a taxi be expensive to get there? And otherwise, the next day, how do we get there and how long is the trip?

Michele

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 18:59

The trip from the airport to Conca is roughly 120 km long: a taxi ride would cost you a fortune, trust me. The next day you can catch the Bastia-Porto Vecchio bus that should make a stop near the airport. For full info, please take a look at this timetable http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html
You want to get off at Ste Lucie (Conca) and catch a ride to Conca or phone the Camping Le Tonnelle and see if they can arrange a pick up. See this http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/Conca.html

--Michele

Turnertactics

Posted: Mon, Jul 6, 2015, 19:01

Bluebreeze

Look on Corsicabus.org: http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html - it's an unofficial site but is dependable. You need to get off at St Lucia de Porto Vecchia and get the gite in Conca to pick you up from there (or walk a couple of km).
http://www.gite-conca-tonnelle.fr/ Good luck and enjoy your trip

--

Alan

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 5:37

Hello BB,
Can I ask the question? what research have you carried out prior to arriving in Corse at 2000hrs in a couple of days time?
Do you have any comprehension of distances on the island and the availability of buses at that time of day?
You might just be lucky to start your trip on the GR20 a full day and a half after arriving on the island...midday arrival at Ste. Lucie then time to get up to Conca it could be well into the afternoon by then...you may wish to stay overnight there prior to setting out the following day?
Let's just look at time of arrival in the late evening at Poretta airport.
Options are, avoiding an expensive taxi fare, to take the navette into Bastia and stay overnight.....hotel or camping?...the camping site is about 3kls or so outside of Bastia.
Camping near to the airport is a walk of 3 kls or so to near to the sea (east of Poretta) and then an early rise to get to the old road (passing the airport) where you can get the bus down to Ste. Lucie near to Porto Vecchia and then a few more kls. mini bus or walking to reach Conca.
Why the need for rushing? a young person on a limited stay, of say just two weeks, can easily catch up on schedule by doubling up on a couple of stages or to cut the traverse short!

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 8:30

Hello Michele and Bluebreeze,
I see that the latest bus timetable includes the Poretta airport which seem a very logical new service addition. :-)
I wish that this had been available two years ago and will make things a great deal simpler for the person asking above!
If a camper he has time to wander out to the camping at Esperanza in the evening and then walk back into Poretta in the morning 0850 hrs. for the bus to Ste. Lucie.

--

Gaffr

bluebreeze

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 9:10

Thank you all for your help. So the bus leaves at 08:30 am from Bastia? Where exactly? 'En face de la Poste?'. Well the thing is, we booked our flight for 17 days, we loose already one day with traveling and another 0.5 day to travel to Conca. Which means we have 14 days to walk the GR20 because our plane is leaving at 12:00 pm that day. I guess we have to double up stages then?

So if I recap: the bus leaves 08:30 am from Bastia or at 08:50 from the airport and we need to get out at Ste Lucie (Conca)?

Thanks.

bluebreeze

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 9:07

Hi Gaffr,

This is the first time that I am going there and I read a lot already on this forum but I really don't know what to expect. Is it far walking form Ste.Lucie to Conca? And yes we have exactly 14 days to do the GR20 from south to north. I hope this is enough.

What stages can we double up?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 10:25

bluebreeze,

I don't mean to sound rude, but, couldn't you do a little google search about it before asking even the distance Ste Lucie to Conca?

http://snipurl.com/2a26wun

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 12:22

Hello BB,
Yes we are all on here available to help folks....we all on here have a great affection for the GR20.
You have very little time to prepare! and we don't know all the facts.
Are you folks camping and carrying your kit along the route? If you are campers, as I suggested, now that I see that there is now a bus service that picks up passengers at Poretta airport it would not be too much to walk out to the camping at Esperanza around 3 kls. but of course you would have to retrace the walk in the early morning to get back to Poretta before the bus arrival time.
The 'getting off place' for you from the bus is Sainte-Lucie de Porto-Vecchio then afterwards there are 6-7 kls. to reach Conca on a minor twisting road....walk? or take the navette provided by the Gite at Conca for a few euros. If the mini bus is not around in the village go to the Bar near where the bus drops you and they will phone to Conca Gite to let them know you are around.
'En face de la Poste'...Outside the post office. But I have taken twice the bus from Bastia, maybe different bus Companies, but one was from outside the railings of the childrens play area, a stones throw from the huge square and on another occasion from outside the Tourist office again at the end of the square....but in Corse things are not just strait-forward we got the tickets from a shop handing bus stuff about 200 mtrs up from the square. If in doubt ask the ladies in the Tourist office... I have always found them to be helpful.
When I have got onto the bus elsewhere you just pay the driver when you get on.
I guess that you may just have 12-13 days of actual walking? There are 15 or 16 days for the GR20 traverse and that is if the weather is good!
Doubling-up? if you are in to this I would get several days behind you on the trail before attempting this. If things are not going too well one of the possibilities would be to head down to Corte where a train will get you out to near Poretta.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 16:04

'En face de la Poste' a better translation is opposite the Post Office which from my old memory is a little way up the street from the Tourist information place at the end of the big square.

--

Gaffr

bluebreeze

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 17:37

Thanks Gaffr. Yes we are campers. Do you think there is a way to get to the camping with a bus or something?

My bag is 19kg including water. I am taking a camera with me because I will be filming the trip.

So the first thing to do when we land is to search for the tourist center and ask for information about the busses leaving to Porto-Vecchio..

bluebreeze

Posted: Tue, Jul 7, 2015, 17:34

Thanks... sometimes I can be lazy....

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 5:00

BB,
I'm still a bit confused...when you first contacted the Forum you said that you would be flying to Bastia in two days? Since this is now the 8th, July would I be correct to say that you will arrive in Bastia Poretta at 2000 hrs.tonight? There will maybe some Tourist help at the desk in the airport but at 2000 hrs?
You ask...'do you think that there is a way to get to the camping with a bus or something?' as I said it is 3/4 kls to L'esperanza camping from the airport. A short training walk for you or hire a taxi.
I think that the road is the D 170 turn left out of the airport and left again out past an ancient site of a romaine building with a church close by and continue to the camping site passing some gas storage tanks on your right side...gas comes in here using pipes and pontoons just out from the beach for gas coming in by boat from Algeria.
As both TT and Michele have said and given you web contacts for bus services on the timetable there is a morning bus down the East coast from the airport....just ask where it is that the bus picks up passengers. As I have said this service did not exist in 2012 but that may just have been the timings of my arrival, on a Sunday morning from Manchester, at the beginning of June!

You do not sound, maybe, very experienced in multi day walking?

When I go for a trip to a new area preparation and planning are important....like looking at maps to get the lay of the land, timetables for internal travel especially so on a island where nothing much moves on a Sunday, guidebook for the route and maybe both the North and the South 1:100,000 maps to take along to get a wider picture than the linear strips that you will find in the guide books etc, etc.
Then when you arrive what about fuel for your stove and additional food stuff?
With your near 20kgs. in the rucksacks it would be unlikely that doubling up would be an option for you to fit the route into a shorter timespan?
You should be thinking of cutting short your trip to enable your airport return schedule to be maintained.
Vizzavona after 6/7 days perhaps, l'Onda after 8 days, Petra Piana after 9 days or Manganu after 10 days of travel to get yourself down to a station for the train out to near the airport.
e.g. Leaving the route at Manganu get down to Sega refuge and the down the mule track to Corte where there is a train staiton.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 5:05

BB,
I'm still a bit confused...when you first contacted the Forum you said that you would be flying to Bastia in two days? Since this is now the 8th, July would I be correct to say that you will arrive in Bastia Poretta at 2000 hrs.tonight? There will maybe some Tourist help at the desk in the airport but at 2000 hrs?
You ask...'do you think that there is a way to get to the camping with a bus or something?' as I said it is 3/4 kls to L'esperanza camping from the airport. A short training walk for you or hire a taxi.
I think that the road is the D 170 turn left out of the airport and left again out past an ancient site of a romaine building with a church close by and continue to the camping site passing some gas storage tanks on your right side...gas comes in here using pipes and pontoons just out from the beach for gas coming in by boat from Algeria.
As both TT and Michele have said and given you web contacts for bus services on the timetable there is a morning bus down the East coast from the airport....just ask where it is that the bus picks up passengers. As I have said this service did not exist in 2012 but that may just have been the timings of my arrival, on a Sunday morning from Manchester, at the beginning of June!

You do not sound, maybe, very experienced in multi day walking?

When I go for a trip to a new area preparation and planning are important....like looking at maps to get the lay of the land, timetables for internal travel especially so on a island where nothing much moves on a Sunday, guidebook for the route and maybe both the North and the South 1:100,000 maps to take along to get a wider picture than the linear strips that you will find in the guide books etc, etc.
Then when you arrive what about fuel for your stove and additional food stuff?
With your near 20kgs. in the rucksacks it would be unlikely that doubling up would be an option for you to fit the route into a shorter timespan?
You should be thinking of cutting short your trip to enable your airport return schedule to be maintained.
Vizzavona after 6/7 days perhaps, l'Onda after 8 days, Petra Piana after 9 days or Manganu after 10 days of travel to get yourself down to a station for the train out to near the airport.
e.g. Leaving the route at the bergeries de Vaccaghja a little beyond Manganu get down to Sega refuge and the down the mule track to Corte where there is a train station.

--

Gaffr

Daisychain

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 7:56

Please note that the Bastia to Porto Vecchio SOUTHBOUND bus does not stop at Poretta airport. On the bus company timetable it is written "Poretta Embranchement aéroport" (i.e. 3 km from the airport). This timetable should in the coming week appear in a French / English version.

In July and August northbound passengers only can be dropped off at the airport.

http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Bastia.html

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 9:39

Hello DC,
Many thanks for that information on the bus pick up going South.
That is exactly as I found it two years ago...I thought that reading the timetable that the folks put onto the Forum was a new service.
But, two years ago being a Sunday, I walked out to the old road beyond the new motorway and managed a hitch down to Moriani, camped overnight there, and then got the morning bus, nearly an hour later than advertised in the timetable, to reach Sainte-Lucie de Porto-Vecchio.
There are many hurdles to cross before reaching the walking in Corse. :-)

N.B. I hope that BLUEBREEZE reads this.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 9:58

Hello,
Further on the bus pick-up point...I have just been onto the 1:25,000 IGN French maps...the Crocetta roundabout is marked up beside Borgo. It is the way that I walked to reach the old road two years ago. The D507 road from the airport crossing the new motorway prior to the roundabout where the bus picks up passengers. This also does show up on the 1:100,000 map which I carry with me in Corse. Map No. 175 Bastia and Corte.
N.B. That would leave BB a longish early morning walk to reach the bus. Instead of what I said 4 kls. from the camping at l'Eperanza it would now mean 7/8 kls.
Also BB for D170 road read now D107. Apologies.

--

Gaffr

Daisychain

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 12:47

I spoke to the bus company today and they confirmed that the bus still follows the old main road and does not take the more recent by-pass. Last week, they promised for the end of this week a bilingual version of their printed timetable, which will be updated whenever necessary at their end.

Re the bus turning up an hour later than the timetable time, was there any explanation, traffic jams, etc....?

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 8, 2015, 17:42

Hello,
It was in early June on a Monday. I had hitched down to Moriani on Sunday afternoon and camped overnight there. The position of the pick-up, was according to the timetable, at the filing station at the North end of the village. I had some breakfast in the village and was making my way through the village when I saw the lady opening up the Tourist Information building so I asked confirmation of the pick-up place. As you would expect on the Island the position was not as in the timetable....in fact just 10 meters from her building.
Very heavy traffic was all I got when boarding. But as is normal in Corse we stopped for a twenty minute break for coffee or whatever a little way down the road. I had been a few times to the island in the past!
I was not in any desperate hurry to get going on the route so after an overnight at Conca camping was fine for me.
That is why when going to the island I always arrange for three weeks to accommodate all the idiosyncrasies of island life. You soon chill out down here. :-)

--

Gaffr

johnsmurks56

Posted: Sat, Aug 6, 2016, 13:28

Hello! Gaffr
This is the first time that I am going there and I read a lot already on this forum but I really don't know what to expect. Is it far walking form Ste.Lucie to Conca? And yes we have exactly 14 days to do the GR20 from south to north. I hope this is enough.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 7, 2016, 7:39

Hello,
It is a few Kls. I have never walked this minor road. It is narrow and twisting.
When we finished coming from the North there were a few folks at the gite having a bit of lunch...after finishing we were all scooped up in the minibus a were dropped off where each person wanted to reach. In our case at the Camping Pinarellu.
When arriving, as you will do, in Sainte Lucie I phoned the La Tonnelle Gite in Conca and along with other folks we were picked up by the navette.
It is always something to ponder especially if you have a flight to reach. The guide books allocate 15 days for the route but you could organise a doubling up of the stages or perhaps bale out earlier at few places when travelling North.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Aug 7, 2016, 4:51

It's 6km on a quiet bendy road. I got a lift along it one afternoon. I wasn't planning to stay in Conca, but wanted to get straight onto the GR20 to Paliri. If I was going to stay at the gite I would have checked the time of their bus.