Temperature in the mountains in September

Polonsky

Posted: Sat, Jul 11, 2015, 12:55

Hi
Me and my wife are going to do GR20 starting on September 12. We will be camping with our own tent. The question is what could be the lower temperature outside at night? Should we take gloves?
Thanks
Roman

--

Roman

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 11, 2015, 19:29

Hello,
Don't have a great deal of experiences in September.
We have been using out tent from early to third week of September (2011) mostly on the Southern sections of the GR route and on the MM Centre. We were above 2,000mrts. a couple of times on the trip but we did camp lower down.
A couple of days of heavy rain with thunder etc. which we sat out at Cozzano in the refuge which we had to ourselves.
Sid not feel at any time cold and spent all of the visit in shorts. Highest camp was at 1,600 mtrs.
Apart from the shorter daylight and fewer folks around it really did feel all that different from out visits in June.
If you search around the Forum GR20 section there are some reports of September visits.
Your visit will probably stretch into early October so you may find that some refuges will be without the warden in residence.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 11, 2015, 19:35

Additionally,
See Lanterne rouge ...November 4th....2014....GR20 section.

--

Gaffr

dinny

Posted: Sat, Jul 11, 2015, 19:41

Hi Roman,
I hiked the Northern section of the GR20 one September, and found that up on the mountains some of the areas around refuges for camping were VERY exposed to cold winds at night. I made the mistake of taking a sleeping quilt that was too thin, and despite wearing everything I had (which wasn't much - I was travelling as light as I could) I really suffered with the cold some nights. As I remember, I used my spare socks as gloves!
Wishing you an enjoyable hike,
Dinny

Polonsky

Posted: Sun, Jul 12, 2015, 6:48

Thank you guys that was extremely helpful.
I suppose that when it is heavy raining the guardian will allow us to enter the refugee and sleep on the floor?
Another question - besides bread, cheese etc, do they sell on the route dry food like soups or porridge?
Thanks!

--

Roman

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 14, 2015, 7:22

Roman

There's a very good thread here on the availability of food that was compiled in 2012:

http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/15568

It would be great if you could update that when you return home after your trip.

I've been twice in August. It was baking hot one year and flipping cold the next so it's better to take some warm gear like a light down jacket and hat/gloves.

Alan

--

Alan

Polonsky

Posted: Tue, Jul 14, 2015, 7:27

Thank you Alan, will definitely do it when we are back. Will take light down jacket and gloves,
I asked about heavy raining but didn't get any answer - whether in this situation the guardian will alowe us to enter the refugee and sleep on the floor if there are no places on the banks?

--

Roman

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 14, 2015, 9:01

Roman,

to my knowledge there have been cases where people were accepted to "camp" inside the hut in case of merciless rain (Carrozzu), but this lies at the discretion of the guardian, I don't know if it's a rule written in stone.

--Michele

Trurl

Posted: Sat, Jul 25, 2015, 18:20

Like Dinny said before, it can be cold. My sleeping bag was not sufficient. I ended up wearing 5 layers of everything I had (that was not wet) including outer shell, and I still didn't feel warm enough. My guess is part of the problem might be caloric imbalance: burning a lot every day, while not eating them back; the body doesn't heat itself enough then. Bottom line, I've invested in another sleeping bag now :-)
Up in the mountains, the temperature contrasts between day and night are significant in September + it can be windy. So -- good sleeping bag is key

--

--Jacek

Polonsky

Posted: Sun, Jul 26, 2015, 2:05

Thank you Jacek. It is clear that a good sleep bag and a down jacket will be handy.
Thank you all it was very helpful.

--

Roman

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Sun, Jul 26, 2015, 20:00

Hi All, I am also going in September. I'm expecting cold, but do you think the temperature could plummet below -5C ?

The reason I ask, is that -5C is the coldest night I slept in my down bag and I still felt warm, but if we are talking colder than that then I may need to invest.

My bag isnt that great but what also makes a huge difference is the insulation underneath you, I use an inflatable down mattress and its my favourite piece of kit.

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 28, 2015, 15:04

Rosbif

It shouldn't get that cold but it may get down as far as +5C, which is still pretty cold, especially if you add wind chill and wet clothes.

An inflatable down mattress sounds super opulent but probably still quite lightweight.

--

Alan

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, Jul 29, 2015, 22:39

Thanks Alan I get the picture now. The wind does make a huge difference, I can't begin to contemplate wet clothes on a mountain in a storm again, done that before.. im taking full waterproof gear and plastic bags!

Compared to what you can spend on a sleeping bag it's not too pricey, it's called an exped downmat 7. I had mine for about 6 years now, It's lightweight but not as small packed down as a thermarest.