Mare a mare sud

Username

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 11:04

Hi everyone, sorry if my English is not perfect
I'd need some information about water points during the trekking mare a mare sud, are there fountains or sources of drinking water along the paths between two stages?
And if there are only in the paths of some days, would someone be able to tell me where they are?
Thanks

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 11:41

Hello,
We used the FFRandonnee guide, which was in French, for this route.
For us it was a continuation of Mare e Monti N and Mare e Monti Sud.
So we picked up the route at Burgo after coming from Olmeto. The guidebook start or finish, depends which way you walk these routes, is in Propriano but the walking seems to along side a road which doesn't really interest me.
So Burgo was our start where we stayed in the hostel then we travelled Eastwards to Porto-Vecchio.
Water can be had in some of the smaller in between hamlets but we always carried a couple of Siggs with a litre in each. We got a self catering room in Santa-Lucia-di-Tallano, camped Serra-di-Scopamena at a municipal site, there is a unique hostel at Jallicu at the highest point on the route, hostel at Levie and Camped at Cartalavonu. A bit of road walking towards the finish at Porto-Vecchio where we camped at an organised site.
Some of the wee hamlets have shops for drinks and food.
Slightly off the track there is the ancient site at Castellu di Cucurazzu between Quenza and Levie.

--

Gaffr

Username

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 12:05

Thanks for answering, then basically if I understood well, we will find water only at the hamlets and not at every hamlet but only some? Never in the middle of the path for example? We'll need to have water enough to be autonomous all the day?
Also water at the hamlets has to be bought everytime? Aren't there fountains with free water for example?

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 16:15

Hello,
We have always taken our two Siggs each on all of the walks in Corse. Of course the contents can get warm in the heat of the day so fill up at any decent water supply. I don't take water from streams. Only once have I found it necessary to ask for a fill at a house and that was on Mare e Monti N. I can, on Mare e Mare Sud, recall getting water from a source in Serra di Scopamena.

--

Gaffr

Username

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 21:48

ok thanks, so we shouldn't have problems with water, I'd still have two questions:
1) the weather is hot of course, but can it even rain? Should we bring rain equipment?
2) how often are there supermarket at the hamlets where we could buy food? Will we find about one each day? Or one every two days?
Thank you again for answering

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 18, 2015, 8:29

MM Sud is the furthest South of all the multi day routes in Corse. When we were there in early June 2009 very warm with no rainfall but I always have my soft shell jacket in the rucksack....same as I have taken on all the Corsican routes.
Supermarkets?...didn't see any of these until we arrived to Porto Vecchio...small village stores for all your needs and if you want to eat out there are several places for that. We stayed in a hostel in Levie where the food was good. The food at the Burgo hostel was good. The rest was self catering and camping.
One thing about the MM Sud is that it was obvious that it was the most travelled, well apart from the GR20, with many organized groups who had, in at least two places, fully booked out the hostels. The tent was a useful piece of kit.
Gillean Price's Cicerone guide provides a good description of the route from Porto-Vecchio through to Propriano. A book that came my way after we had made the journey. :-)

--

Gaffr

Username

Posted: Sun, Jul 19, 2015, 16:52

Ok, thank you once again!