Resupply at Vizzavona

Welli

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 18:19

Hi all,

There was a post on this forum a couple of years ago suggesting that you could send a parcel to Vizzavona on the train for it to be held there. Would be useful to send a resupply of food/gas.

Has anyone tried this, or know of anyone that has?

http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/19811

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 18:29

As Joanna has said that most supplies can he obtained in the shop beside the station in Vizzavona.
Cans of gas can be purchased there.
When I go I take with me food for a couple of days then buy replacements as I go along the route or if needed take a cooked simple meal in the refuge or at a bergerie.

--

Gaffr

Harley1965

Posted: Sat, Jul 18, 2015, 13:17

I returned a few weeks ago from Vizzavona, the store on the camp site is well stocked with supplies including gas.

--

Neil

Harley1965

I returned a few weeks ago from Vizzavona, the store on the camp site is well stocked with supplies including gas.

--

Neil

Harley1965

--

Neil

dunit

Posted: Sat, Jul 18, 2015, 14:23

Ditto.
Unless you're looking to send really specific items, don't worry about it.
The little shop there is a proper Aladdin's Cave and you should find all of the gas and food there that you require.
Along the trail, we also found the shops at Haut Asco and again at Refuge D'Usciolu to be well stocked. All of the refuges will be happy to try and sell you something but these two along with Vizzavona are particularly useful.

--

Dunit

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 18, 2015, 18:57

Also now a very good shop beside the camping at Col de Veirgo which wasn't there when I first walked the Fra li Monti......although in earlier times the hotel had a few food items for sale.
For we who mostly do our own cooking from the tent, supplies have improved greatly along the route.

--

Gaffr

Welli

Posted: Sun, Jul 19, 2015, 19:11

Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

Turnertactics

Posted: Tue, Jul 21, 2015, 6:51

Welli

This hasn't been updated since 2013 but I'm sure supplies have improved rather than reduced:

http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/15568

--

Alan

robertotinti

Posted: Mon, Jun 6, 2016, 7:06

I resume this post. I'd like to do the track with my food in order to save money. I've read it's possible to buy food at some places like vizzavona. What about the price?
I will take with me some soups to be cooked. I don't know if take for all the days or just 3-4.
Do I find them all around at reasonable price?

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jun 6, 2016, 15:18

Hello,
There are limits to what you can carry and I for one am not keen on having the dehydrated food every night although I do carry both muesli and pasta.
I start off with, when coming from the North, with enough food to reach Ascu then resupply there.
If you cut down or cut out the beer purchasing then it is possible not to be too upset by the higher prices for food. Ascu can be reached by road with supplies but many of the refuges have to get supplies using mules so generally it is not too bad.

--

Gaffr

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Thu, Jun 9, 2016, 9:37

Does anyone know if its possible to buy gas og alcool brûler in calenzana on a sunday? Google maps tells me, that one or two shops are open 8-12 am.....but should i rely on that?

--

Thorsten

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 9, 2016, 10:55

Hello,
No supermarket on a Sunday in Calvi...but I did get a gas cartridge in a small shop above where the boats come in. A shop that looks like just food and vegetables and fruit but there on a shelf were some gas cans. I have also got gas (the French Blue pierceable cans) from a filling station in Calvi.
Not sure if the Spar shop in Calinzana opens on a Sunday....can't recall being in Calinzana on a Sunday.

--

Gaffr

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Thu, Jun 9, 2016, 13:44

Well thanks for feedback anyway ;-)

--

Thorsten

obrobinson

Posted: Thu, Jun 9, 2016, 13:59

The Spar supermarket in Calenzana shuts at 12:30 on Sunday and re-opens 08:30 Monday morning. Gas canisters can be purchased their. Otherwise, you will have to wait until Carruzzo or the bar/restaurant in Asco. However, each refuge has one/two gas stoves outside for use by campers. Thus, all you need is a gas lighter and patience! thus saving the weight of carrying a stove and canister.

Oliver

tmoll000@gmail.com

Posted: Thu, Jun 9, 2016, 19:03

Thank you, Oliver :-)

--

Thorsten

dtmax1

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 11:14

Guys, could you please post coordinates of that magic shop in Vizavonna? I want to buy gas there.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 14:21

Hello,
Co-ordinates not needed for the shop in Vizzavona ....it is beside the station ...the hub of the village.

--

Gaffr

dtmax1

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 14:39

Thanks, Gaffr.