Detailed maps (in Ajaccio)

Nick

Posted: Mon, Aug 10, 2015, 3:57

Don't want to make any assumptions....flying I to Ajaccio. Are good detailed maps of the gr20 readily available? Any recommended supply stores?
Thanks!

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 10, 2015, 6:33

Hello,
When I first went to Corse I took along 6 of the 1:25,000 IGN maps of the route that I had 'inherited from my daughter'....quite a load to carry around!
Subsequently I have managed with the two 1:100,000 maps 175 and 176 that give a reasonable picture of the terrain. I bought these on-line from Stanfords maps and I assume that the 1:25,000 came from the same source?
Might just save you time hunting around in Ajaccio to arrange for these before reaching the island?

--

Gaffr

Tarjei

Posted: Wed, Aug 12, 2015, 13:13

I found all the maps I needed for my hike in a small kiosk/bookstore in Ajaccio in Avenue du Premier Consul. You will sure find the same maps in other stores.
One map for the northern section and one map for southern section, both in 1:50 000 scale.

Afterwards I went on shredding them, so I only brought with me the pieces of map needed for the trail.

1:25 000 are absolutely the best for a detailed map, but as Gaffr says, it also means carrying a lot more. 1:100 000 are for me not good for orientation/navigation, but good for planning (you don't need to plan here, the trail is laid out for you). 1:50 000 is a good scale.

Tarjei

Nick

Posted: Wed, Aug 12, 2015, 16:05

This is very helpful as I have not been able to find a source in the States. Thanks for your help.