Quick but important question about some refuges...

Costis Panas

Posted: Fri, Aug 14, 2015, 22:11

Hello everybody,

i'm about to walk between Corte and Vizzanova from Monday to Friday and i've got a problem with my stove.. i'll try to sort it out but if i can't then i would like to ask if anyone positively knows that all the following refuges provide free camping gas stoves and cooking pots :

Ref. A Sega
Ref. de Manganu
Ref. Pietra Piana
Ref. De L' Onda

thank you very much, any help much appreciated!

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Aug 15, 2015, 5:23

Hello,
I can only say definite for both Manganu and L'Onda where I used the gas supplied.

For both Sega and PP.
At Sega, while on the MM Nord, we camped a bit away from the Refuge and only had a bit of breakfast there. For Pietra Piana, where it was very busy on both occasions when there....bought some food for cooking on my stove...didn't really have much contact apart from that. It is possible there to camp at distance from the melee. You wouldn't be without at Sega where food is served if needed and I sure it will be the same at PP.

--

Gaffr

Costis Panas

Posted: Sat, Aug 15, 2015, 9:11

Thank you for the info Gaffr!!

does that means that both of them supply cooking pots as well?

anyone else for the other two?

cheers!

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Aug 15, 2015, 12:19

Didn't see any evidence of cooking pots at the outside provision. Could anyone be sure that after use that the pots would meticulously taken care of after cooking in them?
Take your own pots....myself I always take one 2 litre pot with a lid and, being Scottish, also my kettle for making a brew at any time on the route....of course I carry my own gas stove! :-)

--

Gaffr

Costis Panas

Posted: Sat, Aug 15, 2015, 13:46

true..i always carrying my stove and pots as well but my stove got damaged on the transfer and i was considering of using the utilities on the refuges, if that was possible, than to rush out and buy another stove which won't be the one i prefer (triangia)..

thnx for the input again!

what do the forum community knows about the other two refuge? ( Ref. A Sega and Ref. Pietra Piana)

Michele

Posted: Sat, Aug 15, 2015, 18:35

I have direct experience only with PetraPiana. Although sleeping in tent I was allowed to use the refuge kitchen which has pottery, dishes and everything.

Costis Panas

Posted: Sat, Nov 7, 2015, 22:57

In respect to the CorsicaForHikers community and the very useful information i've got from the forum, i'd like to say ''WoW!! what a beautiful island!!''

I had 5 days of deeply enjoying, spectacular and uplifting trekking on that diamond called Corsica! I did enjoyed every bid of it.. My route (middle of August) was:
*Corte - Ref. A Sega = 12km, Total Ascent:935m, High Point: 1169m
The Tavignano gorge was so beautiful, surrounded by running water and forest, it was an easy and magnificent introduction to my trek. At Ref. A Sega they did have public gas/stove (included at the bivouac price) and few cooking pots (not enough)

*Ref. A Sega - Ref. de Manganu via detour to Lac de Nino=21km,Total Ascent:904m,High Point:1762m
Very scenic beginning, gained height and entered the mountainous area for the first time, rocky and wild. At Bergeries di Vaccaghia i had the best lunch with coffee, bread and great cheese! but Lac de Nino was the highlight! green pasture, horses and cows grazing peacefully, mountains all over around and the glacial lake in the middle..a dream.. i had noticed that they changed the GR20 route from what the map indicates.. Initially the route was passing from the northwest side of the lake but now they covered the Red/White marks of GR20 with grey paint (i have pics if anybody wants) and made a new route from the southeast side of the lake. I don't know if that happened because there is a Bergerie hut next to the new route or for any other reason but i did both ways and i preferred the new one! At Ref. de Manganu they did have public gas/stove (included at the bivouac price). No cooking pots.

*Ref. de Manganu - Ref. de Pietra Piana = 9km, Total Ascent:809m,High Point:2226m
A mountainous day! scrambling, incredible views, east and west coast, Bocca di Capitellu and its glacial lakes, musical winds and Pietra Piana..the best refuge on my route! Excellent spot, brilliant sunset, gas/stove and cooking pots (included at the bivouac price)! !

*Ref. de Pietra Piana - Ref. de L'Onda via the GR20 variation ridge walk and then from Ref. de L'Onda i did a round trip up to Monte D'Oro peak = 17km, Total Ascent: 1559m, High Point: 2389m
That was my highlight day!! i had put Monte D'Oro as my ultimate target, climbed and walked the ridge which was an excellent idea and after reaching Ref. de L'Onda i face the golden peak. Reached the peak into thick fog and i had a great feeling of satisfaction. The refuge was simple but good, public gas/stove was there (included at the bivouac price). No cooking pots. The only downside was happened in the morning when i went into the refuge to buy cheese to take it back home with me but the keeper was sweeping the floor and got angry that i step in. He was pointing out the dew footprint on the floor and start shouting (probably cursing) in french, pushed me out, locked the door and put the 'close' sign.....

*Ref. de L'Onda - Vizzavona = 10,5km, Total Ascent: 606m, High Point: 2106m
My going out day.. quite relaxed with a feeling of melancholia. After my morning ascent the route gradually started to take the form of a valley. Trees, rivers. ponds, refreshed humid air, more people here and there till when i was few kilometers before Vizzavona and my train, there were plenty of people swimming in the river banks. Back to reality!

Corsica is a blessed land.. thank you!

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Nov 8, 2015, 13:28

Hello,
Like most of us here you seemed to have had a very pleasant visit to the island. When was your visit?....September or into October? I recall that you asked for some information in august.
Will you return to visit the many other very fine locations on the GR20?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, Nov 9, 2015, 10:19

Thank you Costis Panas for your feedback and report of your August trip. We're happy to hear everything was fine. Corsica is indeed a gorgeous island.

--Michele

Costis Panas

Posted: Sun, Nov 15, 2015, 17:41

I will definitely come back! this August it was just a teaser! looking forward to complete the whole route of GR20!

At one point, i'll write a bit more thoroughly about this first Corsica experience and i'll post in the Forum. I hope to be another source of help for the future Corsica Hiker!

be well and thnx again!

Michele

Posted: Sun, Nov 15, 2015, 21:52

Looking forward to reading your report. Thank you

--Michele