mare a mare sud in september

ciarán giles

Posted: Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 13:26

Hello, (had posted this in another section by mistake) hoping to do the mare a mare sud for the first time from sept 5th on. wondering can anyone tell me how far in advance one has to nreserve at the gites? is it a busy route at that time of year and imperative to take a tent too or can we rely on finding a place indoors? would also appreciate some idea of the prices they charge per persons and for meals. many thanks in advance

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 20:29

Hello,
Have only ever been on MM Sud in early June. We arrived to the route after travelling the Mare e Monti Nord and the Mare e Monti Sud. Our alternative route from Calinzana to Porto Vecchio.
We had a tent which was useful a couple of times on this route.
We stayed in Burgo Gite without booking, Gite full in Santa Lucia di Tallano we managed a wee flat for the night here, at Serra di Scopamena we camped, Levie in the hostel there, camp at Cartalavonu and down to Porto Vecchio for a camp site.
The route was busy with the organized groups, the ones that had baggage transported in a mini-bus to each refuge.
May of course not be too busy in September?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 18, 2015, 8:29

Hello,
Just realized that I made a reply to a similar request earlier this year. Since we travel always with the tent the average costs of the per day are reasonable I think around 30euros each. We don't do much alcohol when on multi days walks so that keeps the costs down. Also was six years ago when we were down there.
Of course the stays in Burgo (with food) and for the accommodation in Santa Lucia di Tallano (without food) were greater probably around 45 euros each. Our walking is done without booking, we like to be very flexible with dates etc, but is usually works out but of course that is much easier to arrange when Mariff is fluent in French.
Haven't checked but maybe many of the Gites/hostels are on line nowadays?

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 18, 2015, 8:43

On-line there is information for the Burgo gite ....U Fracintu...I put in Burgo gite U Fracintu for the information. It appears to be an Hotel/Gite now but it was a pleasant and relaxed place to stay.

--

Gaffr

ciarán giles

Posted: Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 14:15

Thanks a million Gaffr for that advice. I guess we should take a tent just in case. Had hoped to save on weight. But one question, is it ok to camp along the route? did you camp at the stage stop towns or out in the wilds? Overall, we're a bit shocked by the prices we see mentioned on the Internet both for the gites and the one-star hotels. Going to be an expensive trip one way or another, I fear

thanks in advance
c

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 16:33

Hello,
Since the fire risk is so great in Corse that camping en-route is not permitted.
The camp that we had at Serra di Scopamena was at a municipal site a little way up a wee road above the village. At Jallicu, the furthest North on the route, there is an eclectic wee refuge where it is possible to stay overnight....we just had a bit of breakfast there. The other place we camped was beside the refuge at Cartalavonu and had some food in the refuge.
If you take the variant to Zonza it is possible to camp near there....we have stayed at the camping outside Zonza to the South but it is some way from the village but I think that there is a camping site between Quenza and Zonza.
It would seem that the prices have gone upwards since our trip in 2009.
Have a nice trip.
Roger.

--

Gaffr

ciarán giles

Posted: Thu, Aug 20, 2015, 7:52

Good to know. Thanks again Gaffr.