Bastia - Asco Stagnu - Vizzavona

Niklas

Posted: Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 17:58

Hi

We are three people arriving at Bastia airport Sunday afternoon (Aug. 30) and intend to do stage 4 to 9 (Asco Stagnu to Vizzavona) the following six days. A few questions:

What is the best way to get from Bastia to Asco Stagnu late Sunday? How much would a taxi from the airport be?

Any info, or pointers to English language sites, on the new stage 4 (Asco Stagnu to Tighjettu) would be highly appreciated. We are reasonably fit with some, though not extensive, hiking experience.

Do the gites offer packed lunches? How much are they and are they reasonable value?

Thanks
Niklas

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 19:44

Hello,
I am almost certain that the only way to reach Haut Ascu on Sunday afternoon will be by taxi from Poretto airport. I am not sure if even on week-days that there is a bus service?
This is an English language site although used by many who are not resident in England or even Scotland.:-) if you look around, the posts will be since June, when the accident occurred in the Cirque and brought about the alteration to the route. Also from PNRC Randoblog which can be translated from French into English.
You will have a fairly tough first day from Ascu to Tighjettu! How heavy will your packs be?
What about the starting of your six days from Vizzavona when you can take a train from a village a few Kls. from the airport to Vizzavona and then making your way Northwards?
I think there is still an evening train on Sunday late in the season from Bastia-Vizzavona-Ajaccio.
Check the Corsica bus and train timetable.

--

Gaffr

Niklas

Posted: Tue, Aug 18, 2015, 18:06

Thanks Gaffr

I checked up on some of the postings on the new stage 4. We will be travelling light (say 10 kg or less), so my taking is it is doable.

We have already booked accomodation, so unfortunately we can't reverse the direction.

On http://www.corsicabus.org/Train_services/Train1BiaAja.html I found I train to Ponte Leccia. Will it be possible to catch a taxi in Ponte Leccia?

And a new topic. In one of the gites (Onda) we are booked in Bivuak (as the gite was full). Is it necessary to bring a mattress for this? Are blankets provided, ie. is it sufficient to bring a sheet bag or do we need sleeping bags?

Thanks

Niklas

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 18, 2015, 19:16

Hello,
You most certainly give yourselves the best chance when travelling with just 10kgs....and I guess that with three in the party items can be shared.
I really don't know regarding taxis in Ponte Leccia. It seems a smallish place and the only times that I been there was to change trains. As I recall the Bastia to Ajaccio train is a through one and those coming from or going to Calvi/Bastia have to make a change of trains in P Leccia.
I wouldn't expect perhaps a taxi service to be waiting at the station? You should be able to ask the folks at the station to give you a phone number for a taxi?
Maybe also possible to make some prior enquiries through the Tourism service on the island since you will arrive to Ponte Leccia in the evening.....1930hrs.?
Again I have no experience of hiring tent and equipment although I have seen folks getting sleeping pads at Carrozzu.
I think that if I were you I would take sleeping bags and here you have to consider the warmth against the extra weight factor since this will add to your 10kgs. pack weights.
I have travelled as a two on the GR20 and on a later visit as a sole traveller both times carrying the full range of camping kit which almost doubles up on the weight carried....I do think that the travelling light is the way to go however you are not quite as free as when setting up your tent and cooking your own which means no hanging around waiting for prepared food etc.
Have you also considered the couple of litres for each to carry ...an extra 2 kgs. to add!

--

Gaffr

Turnertactics

Posted: Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 7:05

Niklas

In answer to one of your queries about packed lunches, there is a thread detailing food availability here: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/15568

--

Alan

Daisychain

Posted: Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 7:43

For a taxi from Ponte Leccia (or from Bastia airport) check these two pages:
http://www.corsicabus.org/busPLeccia/PLeccia_Gites.html
http://www.corsicabus.org/busPLeccia/PLeccia_Asco.html

You can get an idea of cost here :
http://www.taxis-de-france.com/professionnel/tarifstaxis.htm

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 21, 2015, 18:27

Hello DD,
That is very sound information for the folks getting off the train at Ponte Leccia on a Sunday evening...I think that the Taxi would be their only option. At least they now have an e mail address and also a phone number to arrange this service in advance.

--

Gaffr

Niklas

Posted: Sun, Aug 23, 2015, 9:47

Thanks. Just for the records:

michel.leclercq2@club-internet.fr (first link above) charges EUR 125 for three people Ponte Leccia to Haut Asco on a Sunday. corsica-giru@bbox.fr (second link above) charges EUR 75. Both require booking in advance.

Niklas