washing clothes

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Tue, Sep 1, 2015, 13:26

Dear All

Just 3 days before I commence and Im just doing the finishing touches to my pack. I managed to get the pack weight down to 9kg, not including water.

One thing that always does my head in is how many clean socks and pants to take. In places like India & Nepal its not a problem as there are always locals happy to do your laundry for a few rupees.. Normally I would be happy taking 2 spare pairs in addition to what I am wearing, then if things get bad I can always turn my pants inside out and get an extra couple of days from them..

My question is are the refuges happy for me to wash my socks and pants in the refuge toilets (im camping) ?

Michele

Posted: Tue, Sep 1, 2015, 15:07

Rosbif rebuffat,

outside the refuges, near the toilets there are always facilities where you'll be able to do your laundry.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, Sep 3, 2015, 10:28

Michele, thanks for the response on this one. I have another question but I dont want to start a new thread on it

it looks like I will be arriving in Calenzana tomorrow around 14:30, due to the ferry.
I checked the sunset times in corsica and it gets dark just after 8, so to be on the safe side should I take the low level route on this first day for safety reasons ? or is there not much difference ? Im just conscious of walking in unknown mountains in the dark, perhaps im being over cautious what do you think?

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 3, 2015, 11:11

Rosbif,

The first stage Calenzana-Ortu du Piobbu is pretty long and requires an early morning start. Even if you are a fast walker it is very taxing. Can't you wait till morning?
If you take the low level route (to the maison de Bonifatu and up to Piobbu you mean?) it's still quite a walk. The trail is very well marked, but walking in the dark? in unknown territory? Alone? It is feasible, but, for safety reasons I wouldn't recommend it. Plus you'd miss the views of the landscape around you which is one of the highlights of this trek.

--Michele

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, Sep 3, 2015, 11:56

Thanks Michele, in my heart I know your quite right to say that.

Problem is I dont want to waste a day unless I absolutely have to, I have a couple of days in reserve for bad weather etc..

At least the weather forecast appears to be in my favour, so I may set a cut off point that if I cant start by 1345 then I will defer departure by a day. That will give me 6 and a half hours of light, and the cicerone guide says the low level route via maison bonifatu takes 7.5 hours so If I walk fast I should make it by nightfall, or at least only be walking in darkness for half hour or so

Thanks for all your help everyone and I will do a blog when I get back and update this site with current information on the route....

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 3, 2015, 12:56

Then do take the low level route via maison bonifatu. This will give you the additional option - should everything go south - to at least head to Carrozzu in a much safer way.

Best luck

--Michele