Another fox attack (last week of August 2015)

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 8:45

This time it happened at Col de Vizzavona (not the railway station). It seems these raids are customary and the gite d'etape owner has in place a wooden cupboard/cabinet (or something) for the hikers to store their food.
A lady who tried to "discourage" the fox was promptly bitten in the hand (that got swollen).
The hiker who reported this also added that it's recommended to play indifferent when the fox arrives and try to stay cool (hmmm) until the "inspection" is over (double hmmm) and nothing should happen. WTF!

--Michele

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 10:22

Thanks for the warning Michele, noted.

I havent seen any reports this year about the large aggressive fox that was lurking around one of the refuges, poking around tents in the middle of the night ? Hopefully he has moved on now.

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 10:51

Unlikely. These foxes develop habits. They know exactly where to find easy food. The latest report (before this one) dates back to August 2014. At Prati this fox (or boar) was so annoying that the hut's guardian would recommend all campers to leave their backpacks and food inside the refuge. Then we have the fox warning at Castel di Verghio and refuge Manganu. A real p.i.t.a.

--Michele

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 12:10

I was just reading an old thread from 2012, apparently there is a boar the size of a cow doing the midnight rounds at petra piana

im glad I stumbled upon this as I had underestimated this problem, I am going to bring some duck tape with me in case I need to repair my tent in a hurry!

Michele

Posted: Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 12:22

I probably posted that. But it's old news, dates back to more than 10 years ago. When I did PetraPiana back in 2010 we had no problems.