Similar long distance hikes?

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Wed, Dec 2, 2015, 18:21

Greetings,

I enjoyed the GR20 so much last year (June 2015) that I am planning to come back in June 2016. I was wondering if anyone has any information on other long distance hikes similar to this one? Any information would be appreciated. Thank You.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Dec 3, 2015, 7:52

Hello,
On the island of Corse none of the other routes, well the ones that I have followed, quite compare to the GR20. It is in a different league of length and wilder terrain and a constant altitude above 900 metres.
The other routes have their own charm....two of them cross the GR20, having started at sea level, and then descend to the opposite side of the island. Another two have walking that takes the traveller up from sea level to higher ground and then back to sea level during the journey and another route makes a tour from fine wee villages to others during the trip.
There is a transhumance route, which I have not walked, beginning around Calinzana and finishing somewhere near to Corte and some others on the island.
I also found that beginning the GR20 from Conca and travelling Northwards was a rewarding journey.

--

Gaffr

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Thu, Dec 3, 2015, 12:05

Greetings,

Thanks for the input Gaff; however, I was thinking more along the lines of long distance trails similar to the GR20 worldwide. If you know of any please let me know. Thank you.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Dec 3, 2015, 18:19

Hello,
I don't get further than Europe with my walking trips.

The only other GR like walk was through the Vanoise National Park (GR55) which is generally used as a slightly tougher variant walk than the GR5. Although reaching around 2,700 meters on three occasions it is much easier to walk than the GR20.

Some of my most delightful walks have been reaching the refuges on several on the approaches to the 4,000mtr. peaks.
Some examples are the Breithorn above Zermatt through to the Zumsteinspitze, before dropping down to the Monte Rosa Hutte, and visiting ten tops on the frontier ridge and staying in three refuges along the way. A fine journey.
From Fiesch upwards to reach the Aletsch glacier and via the Konkordia hutte. Then over Wyssnollan to reach Finsteraarhorn hutte before getting onto the Finsteraarhorn.
Many other approaches to reach the bigger tops using fine walking paths....e.g. from Zermatt beautifully up to the Rothorn hutte to reach Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe and Zinalrothorn.
Some of the smaller summits were reached using the fine Alpine paths....memorably from Val D'Herens to the wonderfully placed refuge Dent Blanche, between Dent Blanche and Grd. Cornier, for a traverse of the GC and a descent to the Moiry hutte.
Since I didn't get to the Alps until I was sixty these memories are very recent for me and tended to not use the uplift even when available to reach the refuges...fitness improver! Of course being retired I had a bit more time to stay in the areas. Many of the refuges don't have uplift to reach them....think of what you are missing by not using the paths!
I had built up a reasonable fitness from a lifetime of walking trails and from climbing in Scotland prior to arriving in Val D'Herens. :-)

--

Gaffr

gundars

Posted: Mon, Dec 14, 2015, 12:26

Hello,
last summer we did La Senda de Camille - a circular trek in Pyrenees. It consists from parts of HRP and GR11. Even though it seems neither so long nor technical as GR20, just some 100km with 6000 vertical meters in 6 days, but great scenery indeed. And there are many opportunities to do side tracks as well, for instance climbing Bisaurin, about 2600m.
Another destination might be Ötztal trek in Austrian Tirol. Altogether it is 400km long with 30000m vertical ascent. Never had time to walk all the stages, and some of them include glaciers as well, but then you go about 3500m high.
Hope this helps,
Gundars

Turnertactics

Posted: Sat, Dec 19, 2015, 18:21

This is something more than a few GR20 aficionados have pondered. Is there anything out there that matches the fantastic GR20? The John Muir Trail and the Alta Via 1 or Alta Via 2 could be good enough. Have a look at this thread: http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/18889
There are plenty of long distance trails in the UK like the one on my doorstep - The Pembrokeshire Coast Path. 187 miles in about 9 days.

--

Alan