Tarp?

TM

Posted: Sun, Dec 6, 2015, 18:31

Evening people,
I'm putting together a plan for the GR20 to traverse south to north in mid/end June 2016. Not sure about fast but aiming for light.
Having read the posts regarding camping/tents etc, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the feesibility of a tarp/MLD Trailstar? Not entirely sure I want to tab the lot with a tent and not ideal to rent one either.
Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreceaited.
Cheers all.
TM

HARDT

Posted: Mon, Dec 7, 2015, 9:47

Hi TM,
I did the GR20 this year from roughly mid to end June (North-South). I saw a couple at Refuge Carrozzu who was using a tarp and their hiking poles for shelter. They also used some kind of ground sheet on which they had mats and their sleeping bags. Their tarp was open at both ends, so the MLD Trailstar you mention looks somewhat better... The couple I saw seemed to be perfectly fine with the rather exposed sleeping arrangement.

I brought my own tent (Helsport Ringstind Superlight 1-2 which wheighing less than a kilo).

It was not particularly cold at Carrozzu, but it was absolutely freezing at other refuges. At Petra Piana some of my friends found ice between inner and outer tent in the morning. Generally I was freezing cold at nights, and not to have the option of going "inside" to avoid the izy mist/fog/clouds that often creeps up to engulf the campsite later in the afternoon would be out of the question, a clear NOGO from my side. Every day without exception the outer tent would be wet, both from condensation but also simply mist entering through the ventilation holes in the tent. Can only imagine how my sleeping bag would have fared if exposed under a tarp with open endings.

Ofcourse everything would dry up once it was put up again the next day, and the cold nights were forgotten once you got out of the tent and saw the pink and purple sun comming up over the edge of the medditeranean ocean with the Corsican mountains in the foreground :)

Enjoy your hike. I hope to go back and do it all again some day.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, Dec 9, 2015, 11:23

Hi TM

I did the whole route in September in an MSR Hubba NX, but I did meet a couple of people using a Tarp.

The one reservation I have about them, and the reason I left my tarp at home, is the possibility of high winds. Sure enough I had 2 very windy nights out of 14 where I was glad I wasnt lying exposed to side winds in a tarp (of course it depends on your set up, the trailstar looks better in this respect)

Another important point to bear in mind, is how rocky the camping grounds are, I can think of only 1 refuge (D' Onda) where I didnt have to hammer my tent pegs into the ground using rocks, sometimes with difficulty, and if you are using a Tarp then its even more important to be taut and anchored down correctly.

I have a tarp and love using it here in the UK, but if I was doing the GR20 again I would still take a good free standing tent for the sake of a few extra grammes.

Good luck

TM

Posted: Sat, Dec 26, 2015, 19:33

Cheers rosbif_rebuffat and HARDT,
Both very much appreceaited. I'll be using a bivy bag to boot so if a tarp/Trailstar is packed then I hope that the wet stuff should not be too much of an issue. S/bag wise, three season with designated 'dry' clothing if needed so snug as... I'll check weather before leaving UK so should have a better idea of conditions on the ground and can pack accordingly.
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best map to use on route? Time and tide permitting, I may be tempted to wander 'off track' so something that gives enough detail - something similar to the UK
1:25 Explorer or 1:50 Landranger, but is not going to result in having to carry a portfolio of sheets.
cheers all and here's to the New Year.
TM

Michele

Posted: Sat, Dec 26, 2015, 22:47

Hi TM,

the map at geoportail.fr is a very good one. You might want to print pieces of that.

Happy New year everybody.

--Michele

TM

Posted: Sun, Dec 27, 2015, 18:17

Cheers Michele, much appreciated.
I've had a play with it and there's oodles of detail... As surges red, I'll probably print and laminate relevant bits n bobs to supplement.
Happy New Year indeed!
TM

Michele

Posted: Sun, Dec 27, 2015, 18:40

TM,

I'd like to add that if you are going to carry an android smartphone on the trail there is an app MyTrails which embeds the ability to connect to the geoportail.fr server and show the Corsica topomap. Very cool.

Best luck

--Michele

Gingerbrews

Posted: Sat, Feb 27, 2016, 21:08

Friend and I walked Gr20 in August/September 2015. We used bivvy bags with sleeping bag only, no tent or tarp. Found this to be an easy way to carry little weight but provide shelter. Only downside would be if the weather was wet (we were lucky, it was dry). Would recommend Alpkit Hunka XL bivvy bag if you choose this option

--

Rm

TM

Posted: Sat, Feb 27, 2016, 22:02

Thanks Rm, much appreceaited and good to hear!
I have a bivy - Karinthia, all should be good. Fingers crossed for fine weather!!
Cheers chap.