Mare a Mare Nord in last week of August too hot?

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Fri, Jan 29, 2016, 14:33

Hi there, I've visited Corsica twice now - mostly doing day hikes (although I've trekked from Corte to Refuge a Sega and back twice - absolutely stunning!) and really want to try one of the longer distance routes.

I'm thinking of doing the first five days of Mare a Mare Nord from Cargese to Corte but due to work commitments I can only go the last week in August (preferably) and the first two weeks in September. Can anyone advise if the last week in August would be too hot for hiking. I recall the unshaded section of stage 5 from the bridge to Corte being pretty strength sapping due to the heat in June 2012 and June 2014 - but just bearable.

Many thanks,

Andy

Michele

Posted: Fri, Jan 29, 2016, 18:24

Hi Andy,

In general the summer months in Corsica are pretty hot. Especially at low level altitudes. So you should expect high temperatures in August.

--Michele

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Sat, Jan 30, 2016, 20:58

Thanks Michelle, I see from guidebooks that September is on average less hot than August - but I guess that change from August to September is a subtle thing.

I may still go for three weeks beginning end of August and judge conditions on the ground when I'm out there. I usually hire a car and base myself in two different areas doing day hikes but I'm really keen to try a longer stage hike this time. In June 2014 there were a lot of thunder and lightning storms in the afternoons (which scuppered my full ascent of Monte Rotondo) so I'm keen to try later in the summer when hopefully the weather won't be as angry!

Andy

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Feb 2, 2016, 13:54

Hello,
Not had any experiences on the island in August.
However those that I have had in May, June, September and a wee bit at the beginning of July have, apart from a couple of tented days in Evisa and a couple in Cozzana while sitting out poor weather, most of the time spent on the GR routes on the island have been good sunny experiences.
2007 GR20...continuous good stable sunny weather.
2008 early stages of GR20 and MM Nord Moriani to Cargese just one overnight rumble while in Sermano and rain all the way on day one from Calinzana to Piobbu.
2009 M e Monti Nord, Mare e Monti Sud and MM Sud sat out a couple of stormy days in Evisa.
2011 MM Centre, our only September visit, a couple of days sitting out rain in Cozzano.
2013 GR20 S-N a continuous journey with no interruptions through poor weather.

I guess that we have been fortunate with weather during our visits.....but the sudden changes from good to poor is to be expected in mountain areas.

--

Gaffr

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Thu, Feb 4, 2016, 8:14

Thanks for the information Gaffr. I've decided to go the first three weeks in September so hopefully one of those weeks will be favorable for the longer distance trek.

Andy