Bedbugs in refuges ?

cat2sat

Posted: Mon, Mar 14, 2016, 17:44

I've heard many different accounts of refuges that may or may not be infested with bedbugs. We will be hiking the GR20 in early September and plan to use the "luxury" approach (just kidding), staying in the refuges. We recently found out about a bed sheet that is impregnated with a deet-type of product that is supposed to prevent the nasty little creatures from coming close to you. The product is the "Lifesystems Bedsheet Impregnated Bed Bug Barrier". Does anyone have any knowledge of this product? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

--

Cat2sat

Michele

Posted: Tue, Mar 15, 2016, 17:10

Hi, I don't have personally tested the product you mention so I can't say. However a hiker sometime ago suggested to build a homemade midge net in the shape of a sleeping bag for total protection.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18jxHr5yR6tLAT2N1DnGnxTNWmtnlY1md...

--Michele

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, Mar 21, 2016, 12:46

Hi Cat 2 Sat

I hope for your sake this bed bug barrier does work, I met one english girl last year reduced to tears over her experience with bedbugs, to the extent where she planned to abandon the GR20 at Vizzavona.

On the other hand, I met other folks staying in the same refuges who hadnt been afflicted as badly, and it wasnt such a big problem. Whether it was random bad luck over which mattress she slept on, or if it was something about her which attracted bugs more than others, I don't know.

I really hope you enjoy your trip, just be careful and don't underestimate the bedbugs situation in some of the refuges.

It's a shame you can't test this barrier out before you set off, know anyone with a bedbug problem ?