Moderate hike

marg

Posted: Sun, Mar 20, 2016, 4:36

Hello, my husband and I will be in Corsica for 5 days early May. he is a strong hiker but not me though I've done some of the English coast path for a few days and long day hikes in Colorado. I am average fit. We are in our late 50's. I would love to do a walk with lots of coast access or views for 4 or 5 days. Is this possible? Any recommendations? We were thinking to fly in and travel light..Thanks!

--

marg

Michele

Posted: Sun, Mar 20, 2016, 8:19

Hi Marg,
I think you should take a look at this site http://paglia.orba.free.fr/plan/plan3.htm It's a very good source of information for planning your vacation. Lots of inputs about coastal paths.

--Michele

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, Mar 23, 2016, 14:04

Hi Marg,
You could do a lot worse than to 'cherry pick' a few days along the Tra Mare i Monti trail between Galeria and Serriara. It would give you all that you need. Also, the Calvi- Porto bus runs along more or less parallel to the route, so getting on or off the trail would'nt be a problem.
Steve.

marg

Posted: Wed, Mar 23, 2016, 23:27

Super cool..thank you Steve!! Any particular "cherries" you'd recommend? Thank you!

--

marg

marg

Posted: Wed, Mar 23, 2016, 23:27

thanks Michele!

--

marg

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 7:07

Hello,
The Tra Mare e Monti is a fine walking route.
We went this way from Calinzana in 2009. The first three stages, well part of stage three, could easily be missed out by taking the bus from Calvi to Fango where there is a road crossing. I am sure that we passed this area when returning by the scary bus ride to Calvi from the camping close to Cargese at the end of the walk.
The walk between Galeria and Girolata is one of the finest sections that ascends to around 700mtrs before dropping down to the outstanding Golfe de Girolata and the services there can only be reached on foot or by boat.
I also enjoyed the next stage variant up to the Bocca a Croce where the road is crossed then up to the Capu di Curzu at around 800mtrs. before heading down to Curzu which is also close to the road.
If needed there are several fine walking days, around five, to reach the sea again at Cargese.
I enjoyed Ota, Evisa and E Case....but we were mainly camping so camp areas were to be sought out.
An extra thought is that the Golfe de Porto can be reached from Serriera, downhill, which is also not far from Porto.
Also I assuming that all of the facilities will be open for business....we were there starting in the third week of May.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 8:06

Hi again Marg.
I think Gaffr has just about summed up the route.
It would be three walking days between Serriara and Galeria, some people double up Serriara- Curzu- Girolata but I would'nt reccomend that to you.
Personally, I'd walk from Serriara towards Galeria, that way leaving the best till last.
Steve.
ps. I walked the whole route in the first two weeks of May last year. Everthing was up and running then.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 9:58

Hi again Marg,

I'd like to add it also would be worth looking into buying the excellent Rother Walking Guide by Klaus Wolfsperger: "Corsica: The finest coastal and mountain walks" (75 walks with gps tracks). It's an excellent guidebook with which it's very easy to plan from single-day walks to multi-day ones.

https://www.rother.de/rother-english%20titles-corsica-4819.htm

--Michele

marg

Posted: Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 18:51

Wow!! This is all such great help. Thank you!!We're excited. One last question. Where might it be best to come into..by ferry or plane, though I'm assuming we might not need a car..is that right?
Thanks again!!!

--

marg

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 20:42

The Sunday EasyJet service won't be available to you in early May....it does not commence until June...well that was the case two years ago.

Get to Nice and then Ferry to Bastia maybe have to stay in Bastia until the early morning train to Calvi ....if that is where you want to go.

I have also come on the fast ferry to Calvi also from Nice....easy for starting both the GR20 or the M e M Nord...we used this service which I think also goes onto Ajaccio in early June 2008.

Probably 101 ways to reach the island you just have to choose the one available at the time of your visit and that suits your itinerary.

If you have not time for a long visit Sunday is not the best time to arrive in Corse....not much transport available...it is rest and dining day for most of the population.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 11:33

Marg,
I think Gaffr must be reffering to the Manchester flights.
Easyjet are flying Gatwick-Bastia from May 1st. I myself will be flying out on the 8th.
Getting around on public transport can be slow ,especially on Sunday.
It's possible to reach Calvi by train but there are then no buses for onward travel until Monday p.m
The Calvi-Porto bus leaves at 15.30. There is a website with train and bus times,
Corsica Bus and Rail ( I think)
Steve.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 13:22

Thanks Dan,
Since I live in the Highlands a bus to Glasgow and then Manchester has been my recent way to get to the island on a Sunday. Three years ago I hitched from the East coast road, out from Poretta, but only reached Moriani where I camped for the night ...bus down South on Monday morning.
I don't know if much from airports in Scotland reaches Gatwick? But that does sound like a good way of getting there in May!
Your Information on the Porto bus brings back memories of our finish to the Mare a Mare Nord....we had to get back to Calvi...bus from near to Cargese but only as far as Porto and another bus the following day to get to Calvi. I didn't mind at all being at the camping in Porto and having a look around.
On Corse I find it needful to have a couple of spare days, not too awkward if you are retired, for the difficulties with mainly buses when they are used for transport.

--

Gaffr

marg

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 17:42

Thanks Steve and Gaffr, We are actually flying in from Colorado to Nice and spending a few days with friends in Hyeres then over to Corsica. We will have a car from Nice airport and can drop it there and get a plane over to Calvi or Bastia (or head to the ferry after dropping the car at the airport) or keep the car and get the ferry from Toulon and back to Nice to fly out on May 8th (staying the 7th eve near the airport).Do you think any plan is better than another? Pricewise each plan seems to be about the same. Thanks!

--

marg

Steve Dan

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 21:28

Marg, given all the options I would:
(1) avoid Sunday travel
(2) Take a ferry that arrives early enough for the Calvi-Porto bus.
(3) If you find you need the car for connecting ferries/flights, I'd reccomend you leave it in Calvi.Some of the roads toward Porto are completely insane and the views are best enjoyed from the relative safety of a bus.
(4)As well as the guidebook Michele reccomended, you may want to look at the Carte IGN map number 4150 OT, Porto. This covers the route we've been discussing.
Steve.

marg

Posted: Sat, Mar 26, 2016, 21:31

Thank you..sounds like we are set, thanks to you guys!

--

marg

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Mar 27, 2016, 7:26

Hello,
It would be good to hear about your thoughts on what will be a short visit to the 'island of beauty' when you finish your walk.
A kind-of whistle-stop tour. :-)

--

Gaffr

marg

Posted: Wed, Mar 30, 2016, 0:41

Yes! I will let you know how it goes!

--

marg