Refuge Asinau ON FIRE!!!!

Michele

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 7:28

From an article of Corse-Matin dated 24 March: www.tinyurl.com/asinau-on-fire

This is some very sad news. Hope they'll start rebuilding it immediately.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 10:09

Hello Michele,
I think, if I recall correctly, that Asinau refuge was one of those that was planned to be taken down and rebuilt? A quick way of getting the ball rolling with the upgrading?
Owing to the bureaucracy on the island I don't feel that this will happen before the new GR20 season.
However, having stayed at the recently renovated Crocu bergeries in 2013, it would be an ideal substitute for Asinau for travellers from the North or the South.....Monte Alcudina can easily be reached from either direction at the col .2025 above Asinau on the normal route.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 10:27

Well, from this situation the bergeries nearby will surely benefit, especially the new ones on the plateau de Cuscioni. However, we don't know about the entity of the damage: it might not be that bad. We'll see. I look forward to more news

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Mar 26, 2016, 6:46

Hello Michele,
There is a sorry image of the Asinau refuge on the PNRC randoblog.
Looks as most of the roof has gone....maybe even completely gutted?
Perhaps someone staying in the un staffed refuge recently and been a bit careless when cooking?

We have lost a few of our Scottish bothies when folks staying have been careless with the, usually, open fireplaces....many now have been fitted with closed door metal stoves.
The Scottish bothies are mainly abandoned crofts in hill areas which had fallen into disrepair and then renovated by enthusiasts.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, Mar 25, 2016, 11:31

Thank you Roger,

I just saw the picture!! What a shame! I'm deeply sorry. I wish they could find those responsible for this!!!
They say they are working on an alternative for hikers. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Mar 27, 2016, 9:08

It's not the first time a refuge has been destroyed. Altore was deliberately burnt a long time ago, which is why the route now goes to Haut Asco. Prati was destroyed by lightning, but quickly rebuilt. Pedinieddi was also destroyed by lightning and left in ruins. With the Refuge d'Asinau burnt, the only nearby option is to go down to the bergerie, but it's only small, and it wouldn't be able to accommodate everyone who visits. I'm sure they could put some big fixed tents at Asinau, with bunk beds inside, and set up a kitchen tent until they get building done. As already mentioned, the place was due to be demolished anyway. I guess we'll see a lot of helicopters bringing in building materials and tools soon.

The Refuge d'I Croci is so high that it's easy to climb Monte Incudine in the morning. That means it's possible to reach Asinau in the middle of the day, so there's still time to be able to walk to Bavella. Coming from south to north once, I walked from Paliri to Bavella to Asinau, over Monte Incudine, and camped at Pedinieddi, so it's possible to avoid staying at Asinau completely.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Mar 27, 2016, 10:16

Hello,
Coming from the South three years ago I went up to the col above Asinau left my pack and took in Monte Alcudina then descended to stay at the refurbished bergeries d'I Croci. I then used the track out to Bergerie Cavallara and then joined the GR20 near the bridge prior to Pedinieddi. Yellow markings on the boulders.
The old bergeries below Asinau are, as I found out, when coming from the North and finding an overcrowded Asinau, used mainly by guided groups...so I guess a wee niche market there?
There are other 'extra places to stay' between Asinau and Usciolu at Bassetta and at Matalza.

--

Gaffr