Solo GR20 Early July 2016 - Transportation

mad85

Posted: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 10:17

Hey all, I am planning a solo GR20 north to south in the beginning of July. I plan on arriving Bastia on the 5th July (Tuesday) and leave from Ajaccio or Figari Sud Corse on the 17th July (Sunday). How difficult and how long would it take me to travel from Bastia to Calezana and from Conca to Ajaccio or Figari Sud Corse?

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 12:30

Corsica bus and train on line will give you what you need. When arriving in Bastia going to the North start of the route I have taken the train. Bastia to Calvi...you still have to get to Calenzana.
When going in from the South I have used the bus down the East coast a couple of times. I guess that if going to Figaro or to Ajaccio you would have to get to Porto Vecchio from Conca. My only experience in that area when going back to Bastia was to get the Conca Navette to a camping site close to Sainte Lucie-de-Porto-Vecchio and then a local bus to reach Porto Vecchio.
For what I recall the timetable changes in June for the summer season!

--

Gaffr

Harley1965

Posted: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 13:18

Mad85

The train times change on the 26 June for July, so you will have to wait for them to come out.

--

Neil

Harley1965

Posted: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 13:18

Mad85

The train times change on the 26 June for July, so you will have to wait for them to come out.

--

Neil

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Mar 31, 2016, 13:23

Search www.corsicabus.org for all your bus and train schedules. It's a good idea to double-check again just before you set off. Travel on Sundays need special attention, because services are often much reduced. Taxis are very expensive over long distances. You'll probably find that you can get from Bastia to Calvi easily enough, but you might have to take a taxi to Calenzana as the bus service is pretty poor. Leaving Conca, you either have to use the shuttle provided by the gite in the village, or call a taxi. From Ste Lucie you have to link buses to get to Ajaccio. Getting to Figari might involve a taxi journey.

mad85

Posted: Sat, Apr 2, 2016, 16:15

I understand taxis are much more expensive but how much more? if I had to take a Taxi from Bastia u Calenzana and Conca to Ajaccio, how much would I expect it to cost me?

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Apr 2, 2016, 18:26

Hello,
It might cost you more than the price of the tent you are seeking for these two journeys by taxi?

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Apr 2, 2016, 19:44

Last summer, someone told me they paid €120 for a taxi from the airport near Bastia to Calenzana. A taxi from Conca to Ajaccio is a much longer journey, and it would cost a lot more. My guess is that you could send up paying €350 to €400, just for two taxis! On long trips, you're expected to pay for the taxi to return to base. It's best if you can work with public transport, which is pretty cheap, but you have to sort out the timetables, be ready to catch buses and trains in good time, and structure your trekking schedule to fit your arrangements. Hitch hiking works, but it can be slow, and if you lose too much time, then it either eats into your trekking time at the start, or causes you to miss your ferry/flight home at the end.

Daisychain

Posted: Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 8:48

For info, official taxi rates are given here:
http://www.taxis-de-france.com/professionnel/tarifstaxis.htm
and they are allowed to charge for the return trip since it is unlikely they will find passengers to take back to their base.

mad85

Posted: Tue, Apr 5, 2016, 15:37

thanks for the information! It makes me think that maybe I can find a flight to Calvi rather and save on transportation. I will check availability...

mad85

Posted: Wed, Apr 6, 2016, 5:34

So which is easier Conca to Ajaccio or to Figari? I am going to play around the departure/arrival dates so that I do not need the public transport on Sunday since I hear its rubbish on Sundays.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 6, 2016, 8:53

A Calvi arrival cuts out all the transportation stuff apart from getting up to Calinzana.
My daughter once arrived on a flight to Ajaccio then took the train to Calvi....then up to Calinzana.
On Sunday there is always the evening train from Bastia.
It looks as if you have a very tight schedule within which to fit the fifteen days of travel (looks as if you have just twelve days on the island?) on the route when it is possible to use up a couple of days, at least, getting to the start and of course to the return airport etc.
You could always cut out the worries of all of this by doing say the Northern section of the GR20 then return on another occasion for the remainder?

--

Gaffr

mad85

Posted: Wed, Apr 6, 2016, 9:07

yes, I am not planning to take 15 days , but around 11 days. I am currently training hard (2/3 long walks with heavy back packs, a run, and a couple of cross fit sessions every week), so I hope I will be up for it.